Automating Formers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automating Formers

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but I'll ask anyway. I've noticed that when you automate formers, towards the middle to latter stages of the game, they just don't do anything. I'm sure that most of you don't use this feature, but the problem is that I think the computer players use the same logic and this "bug" prevents them from terraforming. At first I thought perhaps it was when you could upgrade to fungicidal formers. These units just don't seem to want to do anything besides remove fungus (especiall sea formers, who go half-way across the globe to remove fungus that isn't even near one of your bases). So, I downgraded my fungicidal formers and just made them regular again. This however, doesn't appear to work either. I retired all my other formers and built a new one. It laid down a soil enricher, then quit. It wouldn't even make mag tubes. In my current game, I've made to this stage and the cpu players don't have a chance. Nearly all of them have more bases and more territory, but I have a higher population and much better infastructure, therefore I'm outresearching them by quite a bit.

Double check your automation instructions. You may have turned off most of the options a while ago, then they carried over to your current games. Happened to me before.
    Fitz. (n.) Old English
    1. Child born out of wedlock.
    2. Bastard.

Comment

Actually I think Automated formers are just plain broken. I recall an IP game where the inexperienced player I was playing against automated all his sea formers and all they ever did was clear fungus. (and lets just say he was a few cans short of a sixpack and continued to automate new formers despite the fact they obviously werent doing anything....)

In short either don't automate formers or give them very specific instructions (eg build road to, build tube to etc) for sea formers use auto improve home base which tends to work a bit better.

Comment

I frequently automate sea formers and sometimes land as well, and I rarely have problems other than their stupid choices of what to build.

Obviously I only do this when things are getting too slow.
        Fitz. (n.) Old English
        1. Child born out of wedlock.
        2. Bastard.

Comment

Mine will never build mag tubes.. the option never shows up the "build mag tube to" just stays grey...
          Semper Fi!
          Join the SMAC Demo game and P4 party.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Marine
            Mine will never build mag tubes.. the option never shows up the "build mag tube to" just stays grey...
            It needs the Monopole Magents tech. You had that?

Comment

Of course, I don't use worker/former automation in any civ game. It just doesn't work for me. I have my own styles of infrastructure, and the AI just can't get it right.

It may be frustrating, but its still for the best interests of my faction.
              "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
              "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
              "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I always automate them. Controlling them yourself is just too slow for me... but I haven't had these problems.
                You make my life and times
                A book of bluesy Saturdays

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Marine
                  Sounds like you need to install the v 3.0 patch. here's an excerpt from the readme file (my bolding):

FIXES
                  • Planetary Governor now have packet sniffer access to all factions.
                  • Dead factions no longer prevent a Planetary Governor veto.
                  • "O" w/ supply crawlers now let you add to production.
                  • The menu option for Automate Mag-Tubes now un-greys.
                  • Square detail readout is now always correct.
                  • Rovers can no longer retreat from combat onto a unity pod.
                  etc etc

G.

Comment

v3.0? When did it come? Hmh, I don't remember my version. Too lazy to check on my other computer ( this one doesn't have SMAC )

Comment

Multiple ages ago. We're up to SMAC v4.0, SMACX v2.0 now.
                      The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                      Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                      All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
                      "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Thanks! Point a link my way will you?
                        Semper Fi!
                        Join the SMAC Demo game and P4 party.

Comment

Comment

Öhhh, it seems I did have v4.0 anyway. I updated so long ago I thought a new patch must have gone out. Do they make new patches anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Ade
                              Öhhh, it seems I did have v4.0 anyway. I updated so long ago I thought a new patch must have gone out. Do they make new patches anymore?
                              Not for at least two years.
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                              X