Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey, I finally saw an AI sky hydroponics lab.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, I finally saw an AI sky hydroponics lab.

Well, even after playing SMACX for years, there is still a first time for a few things

I saw one launched at 2276 by "The Drones" which up until about 2200 was controlled by me (I had built up excellent terraforming, in fact I had raised land to create a large bay, filled the bay with kelp and the land with forest).
    Anyway then I used the scenerio editor to switch control to the Cyborgs which had one size 4 base with no garrison, and it was in riots. The drones with my basic terraforming shot up on the charts to be about 3 times the height of the hive (next best). At the time of orbital launch my Cyborgs are about 4th in the power chart.

It may prove to be an interesting challenge, beating my creation of a century before.

I stronly reccomend the trading places challenge, that is play until your the strongest faction (and/or until a given year... 2150 for "easy' 2200 for "harder") then switch to the weakest faction. Once you've got that one at the top, switch to the new weakest faction. Repeat until the game is won and/or lost. As well as providing powerhouse AI's to fight it gives you plenty of oppurtunity to build a faction from the ground up, helping to avoid the tedium of staying at the top.

I've seen the AI build satelites a number of times. It isn't really common, but I don't get too surprised when it happens anymore. It seems more likely to happen on big maps, where they can grow in peace. I actually saw something amazing recently, which was the Gaians using a single energy crawler. It was on an energy special pretty far from any bases. My best guess is that I beat Dee to an SP and the crawler went into the wasteland looking for something to crawl.
    He's got the Midas touch.
    But he touched it too much!
    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I've seen it happen once or twice, except in one game where the Spartans built SHL after SHL. Really got on my wick, so I built hundreds of ODPs and blasted them out of the sky, shortly before blasting the Spartans out of existence. Damn Santiago...grr grr grr...
      "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Do you mean to say you cant attack enemy orbital facilites with your Defence Pods?? I though they were purely defencive, how do you launch these attacks?

I have also seen the AI build a few orbital improvments usaly Hydroponics Bays and ocassional a Power Transmiter but never a Nessus Mine.

Ofcorse I am oposed to the very Idea of Sky Hydroponics Bays as they are rediculously unrealistc, a giant space ship that provideds virtualy unlimited food units just aint going to happen. And it most especialy aint going to be the FIRST orbital improvment you invent. Also these things have no maintance at all another insane feature.
        Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Yeah, it's perfectly possible to down enemy satellites with ODPs. First time I did it was a long time after the Hive launched its first SHL - I'd eliminated them about 20 years previously... You just press F6 (? i think) to bring up the orbital status window and then click 'attack'.
          "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

The ODPs are really use less unless playing MP. I was able to use one in a regular game once tho... worked like a charm.
            Semper Fi!
            Join the SMAC Demo game and P4 party.

Comment

Some time ago I set up a small downloadable scenario for playtesting ODPs. You can get it (plus instructions) at:

And my experience in SP games is similar - on large and huge maps the AI is more likely to build them than on tiny, small or regular maps.

Googlie

Comment

Hey thanx I'll check that out!
                Semper Fi!

Comment

The ODPs are really use less unless playing MP. I was able to use one in a regular game once tho... worked like a charm.
                  I built 27 in one SP game! The Hive tried to Planet Buster me 4 times in one turn but they were all intercepted (with a lot of spare ODP's). I also had to destroy about 20 orbital improvements that the Hive had built.

Comment

Wow. I don't get PBed very much so I don't use them for intercepting. It has a random % of intercepting correct?
                    Semper Fi!

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Marine
                      Wow. I don't get PBed very much so I don't use them for intercepting. It has a random % of intercepting correct?

No . . . each ODP has a 50% chance of interecepting a PB so even with 4 or 5 ODPs the chance of one getting through gets small-- The guy who had 27 ODPs made it really really unlikely
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Right up until the solar storm on Alpha Centauri Prime toasts them all! lol

Once upon a time, there was a story in the Fiction forum, maybe by Googlie, that told of such an event. Quite a good read, as I recall.

Comment

In my last game i was playing with just one city and the Hive were able to build 12 Sky Hydroponics Bays, 5 Nessus Mining stations, 6 orbital power transmitters, 30 ODP's and about 15 Geosynchronous Survey Pods! Not bad!

Comment

Can you shoot down GSPs with ODPs too? I've never seen the AI build a GSP, so I don't know...

Comment

Yes you can

And what's neat is, if there is more than one, you also get to select which base's GSP to specifically target

G.

Comment

Working...
                              X