No announcement yet.

Easter Egg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a little research on Swedenborg... it's intriguing and quite logical to think that the Believers would be the next stage of faith in human history, a new church if you will, but I do think that the reference is coincidental rather then intended.

For more, here: http://swedenborg.newearth.org/
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Somewhere I have heard/come across the subject "new jerusalem"... I just can't remember where or when....
      I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Whats this about hidden factions? Wha...? How do I play with them?
        Semper Fi!
        Join the SMAC Demo game and P4 party.

Comment

I'm quite sure that "New Jerusalem" refers to the promised new city in Revelation 21, 2:
          "And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband."
          Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

I think that guy was joking...
            Semper Fi!
            Join the SMAC Demo game and P4 party.

Comment

Originally posted by Adalbertus
              I'm quite sure that "New Jerusalem" refers to the promised new city in Revelation 21, 2:
              "And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband."
              Sounds like nude Jerusalem!
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I've looked in some of the text files. Can't find the Sid or Brian factions…
                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Strawboy,

There are sid.txt and life of brian.txt files in the main directory of the game. I think you have to load the factions in the scenario editor.
                  Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

And I think it should also be mentioned that they require you have the expansion.....

However, I really love the humour in the Longevity Vaccine movie.....the similarity in the one scene to South Park is obvious
                    Now, that whole movie MUST be a take-off on something
                    I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

In reference to some of the posts above (i.e. where are the believers from), it seems to me that the University and the Believers are taken directly from Isaac Asimov's "Nightfall." Hell, the entire premise for Alpha Centauri is pretty close to what is in that book. Rival factions, each with unique agendas attempting to stop the world from ending. In Asimov's book, it's nightfall that causes it. In SMAC, it's fungus. Heck, in the book the two factions are even called the University and the Temple. I am still amazed that the instruction manual doesn't list "Nightfall" as a reference when it lists so many other books, fiction and non, as creative references.
                      "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Curious, while I recall the concept behind "Nightfall" (one of the most original in sci-fi, an outstanding classic), I completely forgot that there was a "factional" plot in it... I just recall that different charachter had different reactions preparing to the terrifying event (Stars! ), but I thought that their belonging to "factions" and adhesion to their eventual behavior or conduct paradigm was no more than a mere background flavor reference...
                        If I'm not mistaken that was also a rather short story, no more than 30 printed pages IIRC...
                        I should fetch the ladder and pick up that book again down from the upper shelves....
                        I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

I am still amazed that the instruction manual doesn't list "Nightfall" as a reference when it lists so many other books, fiction and non, as creative references.
                          True, it even lists some other works by Asimov.
                          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

It's not just Nightfall - Voyage from Yesteryear by James P Hogan sounds pretty damn close to SMAC.
                            "Earth seemed doomed to a fiery death, so they colonised the Alpha Centauri system with children.
                            But not everyone perished in Old Earth's War. Decades later a generation ship bearing a cargo of colonists - and an army to protect them - headed for the planet Chiron to reassert Earth's lawful control over the fledgling colony.
                            Too bad the colonists didn't see things the same way.
                            A deadly clash - with supermodern weapons - was inevitable as each faction sought to convert the other to the 'right' way."
                            "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Working...
                            X