Who would you join?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would you join?

If you were on board the Unity, which faction would you join? Peresonally, I think I would join the University although I'd have to try to scale down their unethical approach to science!
    Spartans
    10.34%
    Morganites
    14.94%
    Gaians
    18.39%
    University
    20.69%
    Believers
    4.60%
    Peacekeepers
    24.14%
    Hive
    6.90%

There was a thread like this a while back...
    Anyway, for me it's a tossup between Morgan and Spartan, weird eh? Seeing they are oppisites.
    Well, I enjoy a "spartan" lifestyle, but would be equally happy with the luxuries of Morgan

Guess what I'm saying is I'm flexible, I wouldn't care which faction I went with, as long as it wasn't the Believers, Hive or Peacekeepers (I don't think I could stand an eternity of Brother Lal leading...).

So yeah,
    Morgan Good: Pratical, wants to build something on Chiron
    Spartan Good: Waste not, want not
    Gaian Okay: Well, atleast the food would be good. And the nikked aspect.
    University Okayish: I don't like the uneithical aspect
    PK Bad: Lal big prick. PK's get ass kicked for Lal being prick. Don't want to be a kickee.
    Hive Baaad: Dont wanna be a drone in the Hive.
    Believers Evillll: Well, maybe not evil. But the believer ideology is opposed to mine.
    Last edited by Blake; May 26, 2002, 20:37.

Comment

University - unfettered research sounds like an absolute dream come true! I could be a mad scientist.... in a NATION of mad scientists... we might even have our own union.

Peacekeepers would be OK too - for some reason being a part of a massive bureaucracy appeals. Dunno why, maybe it won't once I get there.
      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Try this, Blake.

Prick. - Creative use of italics.

And the Consciousness might be good - but I'd only join them in order to convince Aki to start a procreation campaign on the grounds of evolution research. Of course, I would do this by getting her to test the process out on me for herself first...
        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

First vote for the Gaians - although if the SMAX factions were included I'd've picked either the Consciousness or the Data Angels.
          "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Yeah, I would have included the SMAX factions but i'm not too sure how they fit in with the story - doesn't Cha Dawn and the others only show up after the landing? ... like splinter factions or 'mysterious cults'?

And I thought something like this would have been done before but i couldn't find a poll on it - just wanted to know who would be chosen.

I wonder if anyone will vote for the Believers ...

Her eyes widened with the glory of it, of God watching and guiding her, giving her the tools she needed on the new world. She opened the airlock and prepared to walk the outer surface of the ship, through the twisted landscape, not fearing death. Ready to be embraced by her people.
            'Embraced' - not likely. More like 'shredder pistoled'. heh heh heh

It would certainly save a lot of trouble later!

Comment

I would join the Peacekeepers. Democratic ideals, humanist principles, high emphasis on human rights, intellectual elite. In Micheal Ely's books Lal was sort of the unofficial "hero" of Planet, really the only hope for humanity.

That's assuming I'd couldn't join the Morganites and defect with Sinder Roze and crew.
              "I wake. I work. I sleep. I die. The dark of space my only sky. My life is passed, and all I've been will never touch the earth again." --The Ballad of Sky Farm 3, Anonymous, Datalinks

Comment

Morgan, of course. Capitalism is the most successful ideology of the 20th century and will probably remain so.

I think the Spartans are cool, but I don't think I'd be very good with guns. I also like the Believers, but a couple of reasons why I wouldn't fit in to that society quickly come to mind.

The Cybernetic Consciousness is also interesting, but they're always portrayed in the stereotypical cyborg way, where the mechanical side dominates. I've thought this interpretation over and I don't agree with it. They're still basically human, after all.
                Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

I would be a drone by nature.

Comment

Definitely the Gaians, with whom I’m philosophically aligned due to their environmental bend and focus on democratic ideals. Next to Yang, Dee’s quotes in Datalinks are the most thoughtful (Yang’s are thoughtful and deep in a dark and frightening way) and I am drawn to that level of thinking. In many ways SMAC is a story of transcendence, and leaving our frail human nature behind to become something bigger that we are – growing up (as in Clark’s Childhood’s End). To me Dee represents that, and an awareness and openness of what is greater than us and what we can become. Sadly, to me the other factions look backward to what we were (Believers’ religion, Spartans’ martial spirit, PK’s political dogma) and what we are (Morgan’s self centered capitalism and Yang’s twisted megalomania). Even Zak has a huge blind spot in this light with his focus on progress without thought to the endpoint – technology for technology’s sake.

Plus, I’d frolic naked in a forest of white pines with Dee any day! I suspect she would be, shall we say, ‘high maintenance’, though – but it would be worth it!

Hydro

Comment

Coin toss between the Gaians and Spartans. You can't forget that early on, those mind worms are brutal. Disciplined Spartan troops stand a better chance in battle against these monsters, and the planetary harmony that the Gaians possess mean that they're likely to be captured than to be killing innocent people. This would make survival in the earlier years more likely.

Ideologically speaking, I once again choose the Gaians and Spartans.
                      "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                      "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                      "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

What I want to join.

First: Hive, collektiv before everything, and that says alot about me

Second: Gaians, I am an eco freek so...

Thired: Uni, I mean science is necesery

If I had no other way:

First: Peacek, but I don't like Lai.

Second: Spartan, but I don't like military power.

NO WAY

First: Belivers, ehh sorry God but I don't belive in you.

Second: Morgan, capitalism will soner or later die any way, it is destroying itself: Capiltalism needs new markets al the time, and it isn't possible. In the long run capitalism vill become almost as planned economy with big compinies owning everything.

If the Smax factions was a part of the poll, I would join the Drones.
                        What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

Comment

In terms of the SMAX factions, I'd see the Drones as my first choice of faction to join. The Data Angels would be my second preference, with the Pirates in at third.

I'd never join the Cyborgs or the Cult.
                          "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                          "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                          "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I've been a Peacekeeper since even before they had the name.
                            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Peacekeepers. They have the most "humane" ideology. Plus, they were the first faction I played with when I got SMAC. Even when I play with someone else, I have a deep respect for Lal and avoid conflict with him at all costs. Unless he attacks me first, of course.
                              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Working...
                              X