Feedback requested for new factions:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback requested for new factions:

Hello gang, I've spent several days muddled in the Faction Editor and manually editing faction .txt files, and I've just put the finishing touches on a couple of hopefuls. Ostensibly they were meant as quick human replacements for the Progenitor factions (for I hate the alien inclusion in-game), but as time went on I become more and more involved in their design and factional ideology.

The first is a heavy modified faction from www.networknode.org On that site they were called the "Agri-Culture," and seemed to be based on an archaic agrarian model, like the old Mesopotania or American civilizations of earth. That got the juices stirring and after I'd tailored stat specifics to my taste I came up with the "Agrarians of Ceres."

LEADER: {High Councillor Wren Norbury}
    BACKGROUND: {New Zealand Agronomist; Unity Terraforming Engineer}
    AGENDA: {Planned society; Harvest of Planet}
    TECH: {Centauri Ecology}
    AI AGENDA: Planned

+2 GROWTH: {Emphasis on family, nutrient production}
    +1 POLICE: {Populace feels secure with citizen militas}
    -2 MORALE: {Lack of military paradigm}
    -1 PLANET: {Large-scale terraforming ecologically disruptive}
    {Formers may raise/lower terrain at half the cost}
    {Free fungicidal tanks with the discovery of Synthetic Fossil Fuels}
    GROWTH penalty doubled for GREEN economics: {Agrarians find fungal cohabitation aberrant}
    {May not use Free Market economics}

Ideologically this faction falls somewhere betwixt the Gaians and the Free Drones: The terraforming and biological expertise of the former, the sense of communal welfare of the later. I thought they may be derived from Peacekeeper renegades and more subdued Believers members, or just Norbury's own people from the Unity.

Now the obvious hook of the Agrarians is the +2 growth, which will allow an early pop-boom, if you're so inclined. On a more general level you can potentially grow faster in the early game, and +1 police helps reign the drones in. With Demo/Planned you're in an immediate pop-boom, with creches in place you need but one of these SE choices. Ogie proposed that this faction would murder in Fundy/Planned w/Creches via probe rape, however to me the inefficiency hit would be very problematic to burgeoning drone populations, and your morale would still be -1. Other SE choices are less versitle: Police State/Planned kills your economy, and anything with Green doubles the penalty so you're reduced to a normal faction's use of the model (-2 Growth), which probably ensures a switch only after the majority of your growth has been accomplished. Free Market is disallowed, so you'll never make gobs of money. Planned (also AI agenda) is the only viable economic model for the Agrarians for awhile.

Their big trade-off, as touched upon, is the worst base morale on Planet, which can make early territorial expansions/wars with close (and especially hostile) neighbors quite difficult, ditto early run-ins with native life (morale/-1 Planet).

To reflect the agronomical nature of this faction I gave them some appropiate former bonuses. The Agrarian motto is essentially "Strength Through Terraforming," which I thought would resonate with any Builder player on here worth his weight in salt. Since most players end up pop-booming anyway with Demo/Planned/Creches and (optional) GA, I didn't think the +2 growth would be too much of a game-breaker. I thought about +1 growth instead but compared them to the Hive and they just seemed markedly inferior. Should be an interesting faction for any dedicaded Builder/Terraforming Fanatic out there (of which they're probably legion).

The second faction is one of my own creation, sort of the Morganites on water, put briefly. I liked the Pirates in SMAX and the idea of aquatic factions in general, and figured another seaborne one could fit the bill. However, instead of cruising the waters looking for ships to terrorize and whatnot like Sven, these guys, the "Nautilus Mercantile" actually want to make money and boast strong aquatic-based industries. The backstory I had in mind was that Etienne Peraud was Sven's Commerce Director but was disenchanted with Pirates' trade/economic policy and decided to take some like-minded economists and secede, perhaps with a few bored and adventurous contract Morganites in the bargain. Most of the SMAX fations are offshoots of others, with the exception of the Nautilus Pirates, since Sven was actually on the Unity in the first place, so I figured his own offshoot was due.

LEADER: {Admiral Etienne Peraud}
    BACKGROUND: {8th French Republic; Nautilus Commerce Director}
    AGENDA: {Oceanic Energy Monopoly}
    TECH: {Industrial Base, Doctrine: Flexibility}
    AI AGENDA: Wealth

+1 ECONOMY: {Aquatic conglomerate}
    -1 RESEARCH: {Understaffed, overworked labs}
    -1 PROBE: {Underpaid computer techs}
    Robust SUPPORT: {Merchant expeditions must be self-sufficient}
    2% INTEREST rate on energy reserves: {Trans-aquatic loans}
    Extra DRONE per six citizens: {Sea-weary traders miss comforts of home}
    Bonus mineral from shelf squares, waived sea former/colony pod prototype costs, may terraform improvements on trench squares: {Nautilus Pirate roots}
    +1 ENERGY from fungus squares: {Mercantile attuned to xeno-energy resonance}
    {May not use Knowledge values in Social Engineering}

The Pirates always struck me as Hybrid slightly erring to Momentum side of things, due to those free Naval Yards and Marine Detachment abilities. The Mercantile sacrifice those in favor of energy-raking capacity. The reserve interest struck me as an interesting gambit so I subbed that instead of Morgan's commerce bonus. Just so things don't get too carried away I gave them slightly aggravated drone problems to deal with. The Mercantile are something of a paradox in being a Builders' faction with poor research. I sort of figured with the majority of base space being used as trade warehouses, shipyards, and offshore platform assembly factories, research labs are left cramped and underfunded. Anyway, this faction may prove interesting, especially for a player who likes Morgan but is less comfortable on the water.

I haven't playtested these two factions yet, as I'm in the middle of some other SMAX games, and they're also freshly minted. Just wanted some theoretical feedback from the top of y'all's heads. Thanks!
    "I wake. I work. I sleep. I die. The dark of space my only sky. My life is passed, and all I've been will never touch the earth again." --The Ballad of Sky Farm 3, Anonymous, Datalinks

MA,

We chatted a bit on this last nite. So my initial thoughts are the Agrarians are interesting but prolly not too unbalanced. Growth will be their key. Specially in the early game prior to the pop boom phase. Running Planned with a +4 growth should allow a pod to be produced in fairly short order even without working a +2 nutrient square. So maybe the first worker can go straight to a forest who knows would have to give a go.

On the Mercantiles. I see you moved the interest back from 3 to 2%. I'ld still have to see how these work out. My gut says they're still a bit strong. +1 econ is to die in of itself. Add in the free pressure dome,the nice fungal bonus and extra mins in the coastals. You've got yourself a strong strong builder especially considering how rich the ocean squares are energywise. To my mind much stonger than Morgie. Specially cause he can pop boom going Demo/planned/wealth. The minus 1 research isn't too bad of a penalty in fact may not be harsh enuff. Minus 1 probe really is more of nuisance penalty than anything else. Isee the strength of this faction being an ICS fiend. The base squares are gonna produce insane energy and with the robust support even running Demo the free 10 mins are all that more attractive. Unlike Sven these guys are OK efficiencywise so that makes ICSing evenmore a possibility.

Were I to play these guys I'ld go to land ASAP in order to pop out pods faster than you can at sea. After first Bueracracy warning I'ld resume sea expansion.

Just my thoughts

Og
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Hi again Ogie,

Hmmmm, some cogent points about the Mercantile. If I pushed the Probe penalty to -2 and removed the ROBUST Support, would that balance things out more? Beyond that I could even increase extra drones from 1:6 to 1:4, like the University, or give them an increased hurry cost/tech research cost.

Also, just for the sake of vis-a-vis comparison to the Pirates, my particular settings gives the Pirates Immunity to GREEN economics. More than anything this was done to coax the AI to use this IMO very helpful setting for the Pirates, since Sven seems particularly fascinated in the possibilities of Chiron's native life (listen to his quotes when buliding Aqua Farms or Brood Pits). It would help humans out too, but I still see plenty of situations where they'd favor Planned/Free Market.
      "I wake. I work. I sleep. I die. The dark of space my only sky. My life is passed, and all I've been will never touch the earth again." --The Ballad of Sky Farm 3, Anonymous, Datalinks

Comment

Re the Mercantile-

In my opinion, a PROBE penalty is almost inconsequential. I suggest replacing it with a -1 INDUSTRY penalty. They're merchants, not Industrialists, right? Besides, in a society overflowing with cash, what chance that anybody will be underpaid?

I agree with Ogie, as is this faction sems very powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose
          In my opinion, a PROBE penalty is almost inconsequential. I suggest replacing it with a -1 INDUSTRY penalty. They're merchants, not Industrialists, right? Besides, in a society overflowing with cash, what chance that anybody will be underpaid?
          I should have you speak to some of my buddies in the service/tech support industry. Well-heeled economies doesn't necessitate equitable distillation of wealth through the classes.

But that's a moot point; I agree that I've unintentially created a monster faction, a Morgan without his wings clipped. Autopilot AI games seem their domination. True, negative probe ratings are almost inconseqential. They are dormant unless probed yourself, and most decent players have a counter-espionage force on their borders. At sea it's even more negligable, since probe foils are more expensive and the AI almost never builds them. Negative probe ratings should adversely affect the morale of your OWN probes as much as positive ratings boost them. Might tame KNOWLEDGE a bit.

An industry penalty didn't seem logical to me (Merchants foremost maybe, but still aspiring industrialists), but I've made some signifigant alterations to try to re-balance the Mercantile:

+1 ECONOMY: {Aquatic conglomerate}
          -1 GROWTH: {Long merchant expeditions away from families}
          120% Tech cost: {Cramped labs, grants difficult to obtain}
          125% Probe cost: {Computer techs behind latest encryption techniques}
          150% Hurry cost: {Networking industries difficult at sea}
          Penalty doubled for PLANNED: {Regulated economies breed mass smuggling}
          Extra DRONE per five citizens: {Sea-weary traders miss comforts of home}
          2% INTEREST rate on energy reserves: {Trans-aquatic loans}
          +1 ENERGY from fungus squares: {Mercantile attuned to xeno-energy resonance}
          Bonus mineral from shelf squares, waived sea former/colony pod prototype costs, may eventually terraform improvements on trench squares: {Nautilus Pirate roots}
          {May not use Knowledge values in Social Engineering}

Research/Probe penalties now more meaningfully represented. Robust SUPPORT removed; same problems colonizing under Demo as anyone else. Growth rates reigned in, Planned will be run only with severity. Extra drones moved forward. Hurry costs increased; this should be poignant for the human player who finds rush-building the most profitable option with surplus cash (I certainly do).

An improvement?

Comment

Seems better to me. Needs play testing! Any chance you could attach it here? If not, maybe email to me? jlnader@mindspring.com

Does the hurry cost penalty affect the cost to upgrade, do you know?

Comment

You got it; Mercantile attached as zip. The base and faction graphics aren't my own, but were borrowed from one of the Waterworld factions on Networknode, O.E.D. I believe.

I don't think hurry costs affect upgrades; they seem irrelative in the alphax.txt file. Those more mineral pricy sea colony pods, formers, and foils will still need to built though. Anyway, give it go, maybe including the Pirates to see how the aquatic factional attributes match up.
              Last edited by Marid Audran; May 26, 2002, 15:25.

Comment

Can't DL. I get a 'Congratulations, you have found a missing page!' message. Sure the file isn't too big?

Comment

Who DLd this? I still cannot!

Mong, mystified

Comment

Mongoose: File emailed you you. Don't know why you can't DL directly from Apolyton; it's 350 kb.

Comment

Thanks, MA. Email received.

Comment

Curious. From Mercant.txt :

#ALIENFACTIONTREATY

--snip--

"Hive: safe ally. Treaty: admirable idea."
                        "Hive: control: too important. Ally: dangerous. Answer:
                        no."

Why Hive? Omission?

Comment

Oh, must have forgotten about Progenitor relations, so the game must have subbed the Hive in by default. Sorry about that.

Comment

No problem. I was just asking. This faction editing thing is something I know very little about.

Comment

Good news and bad news.

Good news: After deleting all my old bookmarks that has the site IP instead of Apolyton.net (per MarkG in the 'Please Moderator' thread) I am able to access the DL.

Bad news. I can't load the faction. Help!

This is what I did..
                              1)unzipped the file (duh!)
                              2) copied all the newly unzipped files into my SMAC folder
                              3) edited alphax.txt, in the custom factions section...replacing one of my current seven custom factions with Mercant, Mercant
                              4) start a new game of SMAX (note: No custom factions are in the AC.ini
                              5) select 6 other factions for play all ok to this point!
                              6) select Mercantile for inclusion

7) get terranx has caused an unknown error message and crash to desktop

Comment

Working...
                              X