Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Alien Artifact

So...

I gots me one of 'em Alien Artifact thingy, I also gots me a Network Node ("I don't know but I been told..")

How do I link the two together?

How? How? How?

Thanx a mil
    SirVincealot
    "The road is long but the night is short"

Simply move the AA into the base with the node. A dialog box pops up, asking if you want to link it (or , if you are also contructing either a prototype or a SP there, it will ask if you wish to use the AA to advance that construction) or do nothing for now. Select which action you want. If you do nothing for now, but wish to do one of those actions at a later time, activate the unit and give the 'o' command.

Comment

Well, I'll be. I never knew about the "o" command. Learn something new about this game every day.

Has anyone ever used an AA on a prototype and if so under what circumstances. I have never used one for a wonder either.

Comment

I did, jt. In Pente. Playing Morgan, I started 5 squares from Pagan's Hive. I was shaking in my boots. Morgan doesn't have the capability to hurt the Hive very much early. Anyhow, when I had Impact and Plasma, but had only prototyped lasers and, of course, synthametal, I used my AA to rush a 4-3-1, getting both of my best systems PTd at once. Generally, I hate to use AA for anything other than techs, but this case was (I thought) a case of survival. 'Course, JAM crushed us all in that game. NEVER let a player of that caliber have the Gaians with abundant native life!!!

Comment

I believe that an AA is worth 60 mins if cashed in to help build an SP. I'm not sure what it gets you if used for a prototype, perhaps the same.

I tend to use them for SP's rather than the other uses (although sometimes I just hang on to them perhaps to use late in the game - unfortunately, by then tech is cheap and SPs are really expensive).

Comment

I am quite happy to cash in AAs for SPs that are early on in the tech tree prior to crawlers, or for any SP in games where crawlers are forbidden.

But the prototyping does seem like a waste of a good AA unless you are dealing with a crisis situation. I've only done it once or twice.

Even with the 50% waste, Battle Ogres are a good alternative for lots of minerals in the early game. I like to wait until they are 80% or 90% damaged before melting them down.

Comment

Originally posted by johndmuller
              I believe that an AA is worth 60 mins if cashed in to help build an SP.
              I thought an AA was worth 50 mins? Maybe SE settings confer a bonus?
              "I love justice, I hate iniquity. It is not my pleasure that the lower suffer injustice because of the higher." - Darius I, 550-486 BC

Comment

Thanx, Mongoose.

I must mention that the dialogue box did NOT appear when I moved it into the town square. And NONE of the "action" submenues were of any help.

I did, however, hit the spacebar a few turns later ("skip turn") and VOILA, the dialogue box showed up. Tsk!

I did NOT know about the "o" command, though... Thanx a mil for that one!

Regards,
                SirVincealot
                "The road is long but the night is short"

Comment

If only the Universal Translator came earlier in the game. Its ability to cash in unlimited AAs in the base its built doesn't shine so much when all pod sites have been located and grabbed.
                  "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                  "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                  "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

When it looks like I've got a bad start in the early stages... I use Alien Artifacts to go scouting ! They are always able to enter fungus squares on their first attempt.
                    When you send colony pods out, and they continuosly can't enter a fungus area in order to settle on that lucrative resource just beyond your reach... Plop an alien artifact into that fungus square first. Other units can always enter a square with an other unit already there as long as they have at least one movement point remaining. You save valuable time in getting your colonies set up - toodling around in the fungus can be so aggravating
                    This is what it means to be a Spartan. It's not the killing or the suffering that matters. It's the purity of focus, without fear of death or pain.

Comment

Originally posted by KrysiasKrusader
                      When it looks like I've got a bad start in the early stages... I use Alien Artifacts to go scouting ! They are always able to enter fungus squares on their first attempt.
                      When you send colony pods out, and they continuosly can't enter a fungus area in order to settle on that lucrative resource just beyond your reach... Plop an alien artifact into that fungus square first. Other units can always enter a square with an other unit already there as long as they have at least one movement point remaining. You save valuable time in getting your colonies set up - toodling around in the fungus can be so aggravating
                      Whenever I try that, wild mindworm boils destroy my artifact.
                      "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                      "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                      "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Yeah,... I hear their bad in SMAX... But I've only got SMAC...
                        This is what it means to be a Spartan. It's not the killing or the suffering that matters. It's the purity of focus, without fear of death or pain.

Comment

Don't have SMAX either, but the early Mind Worm problems are still there. Also, don't forget that an artifact which can only move 1 space can't possibly run away from a mind worm which can move on xenofungus as if it were road.

Comment

Alien artifacts can simply vanish when entering fungus squares alone! Using them as explorers or trailbalzers is...fooloish is the only word that comes to mind. Use a former for the trailblazing function. They never bounce, they only cost two rows to build, and they're available very early in the game. Best for that, of course, is a worm, but getting one can be problematic if you aren't the right faction(s).

Comment

Interesting bit about that 'o' command. I did not know it. I always had to move my AA out of the city and then move it back inside it in order for the dialog box to pop up. It seemed stupid.
                              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Working...
                              X