Sunspots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunspots

Does someone know the fine points (and the not so fine ones) about sunspots. Mostly, I'm interested in exactly what you can get away with doing during sunspots that you couldn't otherwise, both with the AI players and also what if any or that also applies in MP with other (presumably) human players. Things like building bases in someone else's territory, killing or probing their units, various atrocities, probe actions against bases, etc., plus whatever else I'm not thinking of.

I've noticed in MP, if you have a pactmate with whom you routinely offer all tech/accept every turn, that this can continue through the sunspots, but if you try to make contact with a 3rd party during the sunspots, you are unable - seems suspect. I haven't tested out any of the variations on this, like whether it is the pact or the continuous contact that is doing it.

Also in MP, the notice of the sunspots is only given to one player and I don't think that I have seen it even suggested that this info should be shared, is there a way to figure out when they are in effect (short of trying to contact an AI player, which could adversely affect your relationship)?

1) You can get away with any atrocities except for PBs while sunspots are going on, although if you commit them against another faction they will of course know about it. However, you get no trade sanctions. I don't think you can do any treaty violations or probe actions w/o the enym knowing though.

2) I'm not generally a multiplayer, so I can't commment about this.

3) No idea.

Comment

Yeah, no states of war or peace change during sunspot activity, including if you attack someone with whom you're at peace. But they aren't too happy with you afterwards!
      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Re: Sunspots

Originally posted by johndmuller
        I've noticed in MP, if you have a pactmate with whom you routinely offer all tech/accept every turn, that this can continue through the sunspots,
        ...whether it is the pact or the continuous contact that is doing it.

Also in MP, the notice of the sunspots is only given to one player and I don't think that I have seen it even suggested that this info should be shared...
        1. It is the continuous contact. Indeed, you HAVE TO change something in your offers, or accept and propose new ones every turn, or the Diplo window won't pop up at beginning of turn and you won't be able to open it afterwards till SS expire.

2. In all the pbems I played in, when I brought up the issue, it was agreed that this trick is against the idea of sunspots, that it's a bug in the interface, and that exploiting it is a cheat in a pbem. You are only allowed to accept a pending deal (thus you can't alter anything or the "accept" will be reset) on the turn the sunspots set on.

3. Sunspots always set on (and terminate) at the beginning of round, i.e. with Gaia in standard SMAC sequence.
        Last times I saw them in a pbem, I was indeed Gaia. I *think* tho that I saw the SS message too when I was playing in the middle of the round, but that happened longer ago and my memories are vague.
        In a pbem, either all the players get indeed the message, or it would be fair imho that this info would be broadcasted by the first player (it always has been in the pbems I played).
        Its secrecy doesn't make sense as game element.
        In a PBEM anyway, you don't need to contact an AI to check if commlinks are open: attempt to contact a human (or to open the Council interface)! That's consequenceless if SS are not in effect.
        I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Working...
        X