No announcement yet.

Argh... newbie questions, help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that you can also turn the governor on and off by clicking on the "wrong" part of the base's line in the F4 screen (I believe that the base icon is the "wrong" part of the base's line). IIRC, it may also change the base's production if you accidentally "govern" the base that way; of course, it wouldn't remember whatever you had been producing before when subsequently you un-governor it. I don't recall if there is any consequence viz-a-viz production changing costs (nor do I recall if this method is a sneaky way to avoid that changing production cost); I was very thoroughly conditioned not to click there once I figured out how the governor was getting turned on.

Comment

Ok, I've played a few games now and I have another question:

Do you HAVE to have all the other Factions playing against you every game? Or is there some way to set the number of opponents? For instance, maybe I just want a 3-faction game (me and two others). I can't seem to find an option for this, is it impossible due to the fact it would not follow the storyline?

It gets kinda hectic playing against that many opponents every game..... if you cannot set opponents, I guess a work-around would be to set "do not restart defeated factions" on the options.... unless there is a better way??

Thanks!

Comment

Sorry. Always seven factions. Don't restart eliminated players only helps if the factions get eradicated in the first place.

Comment

You can start a random game, then scenario edit out some factions(keep your eyes closed, to everything else, or have a friend do it for you).

The game will be marked "cheated" but that really doesn't matter.

Alternatively, a friend can set up a scenario for you. You can set one up for yourself, but that takes out one of the most entertaining aspects of the game: the thrill of "exploration".
          Team 'Poly

Comment

Hmm... no option for it then. Strange, I wonder why they did not add one like that? Does anyone remember Master of Magic (Microprose/Simtex)? One of my other favorite games of all time. I liked their system for setting up games (skills available, opponents, starting spells), it was pretty much perfect.

But AC is still a great game.

Comment

Originally posted by Freelance
              Hmm... no option for it then...
              Actually, It's true that when you activate the Scenario Editor from within a game (Ctrl+K), you also uncover the whole map.
              But if you also immediately hit the Y key, that will hide the map again, and you'll be able to eliminate one ore more factions using the menu only and without seeing any other detail. Hit Ctrl+K again to resume normal play.
              Don't tell me that it's the Cheater brand on the score that is setting you off!

[SIZE=1] Does anyone remember Master of Magic (Microprose/Simtex)? One of my other favorite games of all time.
              A rethoric question?
              You know, last weeks, after I deleted that piece of **** that is CivIII, and as AC is wonderful but for MultiPlayer olnly, I got back to play... MoM!
              I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Yes, but the AI in MoM is pretty bad also.

Comment

Yet, I found out that I could not remember how win just "any" starting position on Impossible, I had to scale it down to Hard.
                  I must had forgotten how to play...
                  ...and of course the AI is no challenge, but the fabric of the game is more instersting in itself, all those different monsters with different capabilities, spells, and above all Tactical TURN Combat...
                  AC allows you to draw more complex drawind with a wide number of colours, MoM offer you a huge palette full of nuances. Tha drawings can olny be simpler, but you just enjoy all the "iridescence"...
                  I can easily spend 12 hours on it with happy heart.
                  I don't know why, Age of Wonders reminded me a bit of that feeling, but didn't make it in my classics olympus...
                  I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

In reply to the rookies and in solicitation of the trancendent out there, I'd just like to say I settled on Colonel Santiago as my favorite faction to play when the Spartans kept coming and coming...

I'm not too good with the Gaians or Lal at Thinker. I'm weakest as Miriam. I've never played SMAX.

But here's my point: play as the Spartans, get Command Nexus and hopefully, Citizen's Defense; build Nodes, forests (farms in rolling and rainy or moist), and most importantly, go for Police State, Green, and Knowledge. Use AAA Police Sentinels and put armor on the Chaos Tacticals! The best part is seeing Yang's or Morgan's Needlejets eaten up by your scrambling Air Defense.

There's so much more. Alpha Centauri rules!

Sorry for no smilies, no signature, etc. I haven't quite grasped what to do to do those things.

Comment

Originally posted by billybaruch1
                      and put armor on the Chaos Tacticals!
                      Great to have you with us billybaruch1!

Glad to see you are enjoying the game.

All good ideas, there, except the armour on tacticals. We have discussed it here many times before. A recent discussion was had at CGN in the following thread:

bc
                      Team 'Poly

Comment

True True Big C!

At the risk of Moderators censure, I would encourage anyone with a passing interest in all things SMAC-X to make a stop once in awhile at www.civgaming.net.

My home is still 'Poly but they got a lotta good things goin' on over there.

Og
                        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Glad to be here!

So you're saying air defense is based on weapon and not armor? I've been playing this game for two years and in the early days my defenders would scramble and lose. When I put on the plasma or silksteel my defenders would scramble and win. I've had 3 of the enemy's interceptors lose in one turn to one armored interceptor sent out to defend a penetrator. On a separate issue, I've also had an armored tactical in a base defeat an attacking infantry. Are you saying the armor made no difference? I'm not saying you're wrong. To the contrary, maybe I'm an old dog learning a new trick here. I'll experiment. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by billybaruch1
                            On a separate issue, I've also had an armored tactical in a base defeat an attacking infantry. Are you saying the armor made no difference? I'm not saying you're wrong. To the contrary, maybe I'm an old dog learning a new trick here. I'll experiment. Thanks.
                            Armor allows extra defense in the case you described. A air unit caught in base attacked by a ground unit defend with armor value.

An air unit aloft over a stack of units defends with weapon value for a tactical air unit and with armor for a penetrator type unit. Note these aloft units may only be attacked by units with air superiority. (although you can damage/destroy them with self destructing units.)

A chopper lands every turn and can be attacked by any ground unit. It then defends against ground units with armor.

Og

And unbeknownst to me air units on ground defend at 1:1 odds vs psi attack.
                            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

"An air unit aloft over a stack of units defends with weapon value for a tactical air unit and with armor for a penetrator type unit."

That's what I'm thinking of: if you send out (or the air defense scrambles) an unarmored interceptor to defend a former, or other unit, against the enemy's bomber (needlejet) or multiple bombers, you might lose the air defense unit. If you ALWAYS use big-time armor on your air defense, you'll be much happier when they are in the air or in the base, in my opinion.

Also, choppers are worthless unless you get them to base each turn, in which cases, they can be quite devastating, to say the least. Choppers (and penetrators) count as police, while interceptors do not.

Comment

Working...
                              X