No announcement yet.

Prime Function Aki Zeta-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was quite sure I'd get some comments on putting the Canadian and American education on the same line.

By the way, I have a new question, for your amusement.

In the Journey to Centauri -story by Michael Ely, there is somewhere a list of some crew members of the Unity.
    Now, there is a name on the list, "Takala, T."

I thought this was just the writer's imagination, finding some strange name, maybe it was Japanese, but -
    I read some age-old Civ2 post, in which a Finn, Teemu Takala was mentioned.

Could there be a connection between these two cases? Or is it just a coincidence?
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Btw, has no one yet noticed the, to put it softly, rather striking similarity between Aki Hansen and Annika Hansen (=Seven of Nine)???
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Btw, has no one yet noticed the, to put it softly, rather striking similarity between Aki Hansen and Annika Hansen (=Seven of Nine)???
        No, sorry, the only living female Hansen I know is Gabriele Hansen who was a neighbour of mine (and is happily married for over 30 years now). I didn't find any similarities.
        Could you post/línk to a picture if you have one?
        Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

About the Cha Dawn reference. While the reincarnation of Buddha may have been in someone's mind, the character of Cha Dawn doesn't quite fit as emphasized in the final two sentances of his initial speech

"I will make them see it. I will make them hear it."

Buddhism stresses avoidance of violence which those two sentences contradict. It must also be considered that when a 'mystical-wiseman-speaking-in-riddles' type character is added to a storyline (film, television, novel, game, etc), most writers invariably model off a buddhist monk.

To me, Cha Dawn seems more like a religious (and younger) version of Mao Tse-tung.
          There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

To Do With Nothing

Has anybody noticed how many SMAC faction leader names are places?

Santiago.

Shengyang is a place in China, me believe.

Zakharov's original name was Saratov, a Russian place.

Luttinen and Svensgaard sound like Nordic places.

Skye, as in the island.

On the topic,
            Zakharov was a suggestion as SMAC Fanatic said. Saratov IS a Russian place. Zakharov is a naughty suggestion because I use that name on occassion and get accused of loving Victor Zakharov, the white Russian racist. Hurrah!

And HEY, Yuri Nesteroff is f**king really Russian. Jesus.

I think I get some of his family's email because there aren't too many Nesteroff's in America and I've got the AOL screen name. They send me all kinds of weird things. I like it.

Alynzia.

Comment

Re: To Do With Nothing

Originally posted by Alynzia
              Has anybody noticed how many SMAC faction leader names are places?

Luttinen and Svensgaard sound like Nordic places.

Interesting..... although I pretty sure that there isn't any place in Sweden named "Svensgård"... perhaps Svens Gård (=Svens garden).
              It's close to midnight and something evil's is lurking in the dark.

Comment

Qilue,

Not entirely convinced, sorry.
                Why do we need two incarnations of Mao? Yang already does this job quite excellently.
                What you cite is, even in the context of the whole initial speech, not necessarily violent - If said by a buddhist monk you would certainly understand this as "showing the way to enlightenment" (Any totalitarian ot autoritarian system puts the society/community higher than the individuum -- which fits to Yang --, but not really as a form of enlightenment -- which IMHO was attributed to Yang as "typically Asian" when the more religious Cha Dawn was not yet in sight.)
                As readiness to violence this citation can easily be understood if you already suspect such a readiness from other points.
                The problem with any seriously pacifistic group (i. e. a group who rejects the use of violence even if faced with violence) is that it would make an extremely weak faction - power wise, and therefore not useful for a game.

Alynzia:

It is quite common that people are named after the place they come from. The only interesting point may be that the places Santiago themselves are called after a person, namely Saint Jacob. His tomb is at Santiago de Compostela in Spain.

A question to the English (or Russian maybe?) native speakers:

What is the English transcription of the name of the Russian "father of the H-bomb" who later turned pacifist, said too much and got imprisoned, got a Peace Nobel Prize, and was elected to one of the first freely elected Soviet or Russian Parliaments in the late 80s or early 90s and died sometime around 1995 (if my memory didn't fail on all those details). The German transcription of his name is Andrej Sacharow. I thought Zakharov is the English equivalent and that he gave his name to Prokhor. Which would be entirely fitting, if you translate one drastic change in his life to "erratic".
                Last edited by Adalbertus; March 17, 2002, 17:15.
                Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Andrei Saharov - Prokhor Zakharov? Quite possible.
                  Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Working...
                  X