No announcement yet.

SMAC tech becoming reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

because I also believe in Social Darwinism.
    I could start a whole new thread about this subject. Can you like "Will to Power"? Isn't it more like a fundamental part of human nature, from certain point of view. Just out of intrest, Have you read any of Nietzsche's philosophy?

For me Ãœbermensch is very elusive concept, interesting to theoretize but impossible to verify. But I'm determined that if there is such things as superman, it's all based on a way of thinking. Just like you put it.
    "I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
    - Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Shai-Hulud
      Can you like "Will to Power"? Isn't it more like a fundamental part of human nature, from certain point of view. Just out of intrest, Have you read any of Nietzsche's philosophy?
      You're right, of course, that the Will to Power is not really something that can be "liked" in the usual sense of the word. Sorry if I confused anybody.

I have read a little Nietzsche, some time ago now.
      Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

I know Theory of Relativity well enough to believe that FTL travelling is impossible, but I wouldn't rule any possibility out.
        Fortunately, physics seems to have a tendency to converge towards reality, and special relativity is experimentally verified to 99% of the speed of light with elementary particles (don't know how many nines after the decimal point). In the framework of relativity, the speed of light plays the role of infinite speed, which is unfortunately a finite value, because in our daily life we use the "wrong" scale. And beyond relativity, I would wonder if a path taken by some particle cannot be taken by light, and much faster.
        Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

In the News: Super Tensile Solids

In the News: Super Tensile Solids. Associated Press article at Yahoo News: "New Metal Alloy Is Super Strong". (But not quite ready for Prime Time.)
          It could be the new superhero of metals.
          More than twice as strong as titanium and steel, it doesn't rust and it can be cast like plastic and honed to an edge as sharp as glass.
          And like any superhero, it has a weakness: don't heat it too much, or it loses its strength.
          The fruit of a 1992 discovery at the California Institute of Technology, the alloy, called Liquidmetal, has already been used in golf clubs. And it may soon show up in cell phone casings, baseball bats and scalpels.
          I'm not sure how long Yahoo News keeps their articles posted, but I saved a copy if anyone goes looking and it's been taken offline.
          I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

That's really cool. I should have heard about that before you posted it, since I'm technically in the field of materials engineering.

The problem, as we see, with making science fiction games and novels in an era such as ours, is that the stuff you make up is likely to be equalled or even surpassed in the real world.
            Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Yeah, like matter editation. I mean we can edit post that do not matter, i.e. anti-matter, like this one i'm making, and turn it into a post that matters. So it already exist in the real world. Now about powering up warp cores, since it's matter-antimatter combustion, wouldn't off-topic explode one day?
              Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly.
              Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
              "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

Comment

But if your post is anti-matter, then should it not react with the posts and threads that do matter, and cause matter annihilation (or whatever that fancy name for a very big BANG followed by a WOOSH is)?
                Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Therefore it proves that my post matters. And that it isn't deliberate spam!
                  Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
                  "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

Comment

But then you can go back and edit your post, to create an alternate universe, thereby proving another long-held theory.

Right now your matter/antimatter post is in stasis, but with a flick of the edit key, it's gone - well not so much gone, as changed.

Blink Displacement

So does this post really exist??

G.

Comment

Originally posted by Iskandar Reza
                      Therefore it proves that my post matters. And that it isn't deliberate spam!
                      Negative. The fact proven here is that your post (and this post) are not reacting with the other posts.

Therefore, it's a possibility that nothing on this forum - or on this world at that - matters, therefore everything is anti-matter, and matter can not simply exist - if something that matters suddenly shows up, it reacts with the humongous amount of anti-matter around it, thus becoming consumed in it and metamorphosing to anti-matter.

Hang on. This drivels sounds almost rational.

*poof*
                      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia

Negative. The fact proven here is that your post (and this post) are not reacting with the other posts.

Therefore, it's a possibility that nothing on this forum - or on this world at that - matters, therefore everything is anti-matter, and matter can not simply exist - if something that matters suddenly shows up, it reacts with the humongous amount of anti-matter around it, thus becoming consumed in it and metamorphosing to anti-matter.

Hang on. This drivels sounds almost rational.

*poof*

It appears the last sentence of his post mattered, and has dematerialized in reaction to all the post that do not matter on this site.
                        Anti-bush and anti-Bush.

Comment

And just as an aside, what an interesting word matter is. As in:

What is the matter? (loosely translated "what is wrong ... why are you upset, etc etc")

Does it matter? ( as in "is it important? Is it worthy of consideration?")

Can matter exist in a void? (as in physical substance)

As a matter of fact - it's a matter of opinion (pertaining to, etc)

According to OED, it comes from latin materia, which also had 3 meanings:

> timber and other building resources
                          > substance
                          > subject of discourse

G.

Comment

And in German, matter means weaker or duller.
                            Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Well, at any rate, I wish someone would come up with the Weather Paradigm 'cause it is damn HOT where I am right now. If they can clone sheep, why cant they launch a weather satellite or something

Dave
                              "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by DetroitDave
                                Well, at any rate, I wish someone would come up with the Weather Paradigm 'cause it is damn HOT where I am right now. If they can clone sheep, why cant they launch a weather satellite or something

Dave
                                They cloned sheep for their own sick needs
                                Anti-bush and anti-Bush.

Comment

Working...
                                X