SMAC tech becoming reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAC tech becoming reality

After the Human Genome Project completed, you may have seen this in the news recently:

Nexia hopes to produce large quantities of the recombinant spider silk, trade-named BioSteelR, using goats engineered to produce the spider silk proteins in their milk. If sucessful, future applications of harvested silk could include medical sutures, high-strength composites and soft body armor.
    Scientific American is the essential guide to the most awe-inspiring advances in science and technology, explaining how they change our understanding of the world and shape our lives.

which sounds very close to silksteel (4) - and discovered before synthmetal (2) or plasma (3) armour (or does someone else know otherwise? )

For me, the product mentioned is a substance similar (or chemically identical) to silk and not to steel. They call it steel to better sell it. I think that one might arrive at substances with a tensile strength higher than spider silk. But I very much doubt that it will be based on steel.
    As to the other armours: SMAC doesn't give too much information about how those things should be made. Smart guys.
    Synthmetal armour: As long as made from alloying metals known today: They exist since bronze ages (Civ's Phalanx, also defensive power of 2! )
    If it is made from metallic elements not known today: Nonsense, unless you want to have a highly radioactive coat.
    Plasma Steel Armour: A mass-energy composite is a pure nonsense. At least as normal people would think about it. For physicists, mass and energy is essentially the same and a composite sort of redundant, but nothing exciting (The only sort of energy you can make clothes of is matter).

It's a game, not a guideline to future science. Today, the Supercollider is (depending on what you expect) merely a question of money...
    Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

I think you may have misssed the point... it wouldn't be steel, to be sure, but the resulting material woven together in thicknesses and sizes used for steel would be many times stronger and many times lighter.

Don't rain on our parade ... this is a wonderful discovery, a harnessing of natural processes to help mankind. I wonder what a hybrid cloth of Kevlar and spider silk would be able to do? Stop rifle bullets?
      ----
      Humanity and it's environment are our future, not gods.

Comment

Don't rain on our parade ... this is a wonderful discovery, a harnessing of natural processes to help mankind. I wonder what a hybrid cloth of Kevlar and spider silk would be able to do? Stop rifle bullets?
        We'll just invent a newer weapon to cut through it - the SMAC way.

Comment

the "achievements" in genetic engineering and reproduction technics make me nervous...
          cloned people as human spare parts, uber-menschen, genetically cleaned children...

Comment

Originally posted by TresXF
            the "achievements" in genetic engineering and reproduction technics make me nervous...
            cloned people as human spare parts, uber-menschen, genetically cleaned children...
            Oh yeah? What about this:

^I swear sometimes they're watching me.
            ^
            ^ -- Bozon Pete, Shift Foreman,
            ^ Metagenics Biomachinery Division
            or the Self-aware colony video

Or just running Thought Control

Actually I am more afraid about what people like Bush & Laden etc. are doing than the, so called, "future" of mankind
            ... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality...
            ... Pain is an illusion...

Comment

It will happen, and it will happen in our lifetime....
              ITER is the world’s largest fusion experiment. Thirty-five nations are collaborating to build and operate the ITER Tokamak, the most complex machine ever designed, to prove that fusion is a viable source of large-scale, safe, and environmentally friendly energy for the planet.

Comment

Bush & Laden
                yet another war, so what?

staying on the edge of a "genetic era" is much more of importance for mankind (imho).

Comment

Not that you care...

What gets me with science fiction - all science fiction I've read, including Alpha Centauri - is how we always get these amazing spaceships and advanced technology but people still have gay genes, kill each other and **** etc, just like we do. All on this forum, especially Off Topic.

Realisitically I imagine Uber-mensch, eugenics and clinical immortality centuries before we colonize the stars.

Hey, we can travel faster than light but we still think it's cool to blow someones brains out. Yeah right.

Comment

I'm very pessimistic about the idea that our ethics would REALLY develop. Our recent "discoveries" in the field of philosophy are, for example, modern humanism and Nietzschean egoism. In many ways the opposite despite of their secular nature and focus into human itself. The human nature haven't changed much and the fact that each individual have his own nature, within the limits of collective human nature. There is no technology that could prevent people from pursuing power and wealth(which are essentially the same) at the cost of other people. This is the cause of conflicts within our social environment. No technology can take away our "Den Will zur Macht", Will to Power.
                    "I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
                    - Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by neuro7
                      It will happen, and it will happen in our lifetime....
                      If you like so ... They keep telling it for 40 years now (Not the ITER people, this project is working for 10 years or so). Research in the civil usage of fusion power has started almost at the same time as the military (H-bomb).

Originally posted by Shai-Hulud
                      I'm very pessimistic about the idea that our ethics would REALLY develop.
                      There were so good ideas 2000 years ago. And what made humanity of it? Crusades, witch hunts and MIRIAM.

Originally posted by Alynzia
                      Realisitically I imagine Uber-mensch, eugenics and clinical immortality centuries before we colonize the stars.
                      Eugenics - yes. Ãœbermensch - matter of definition. Clinical immortality - no. And I wouldn't want it: If there were no aging, people would starve or be killed. There are only limited resources on Earth (or Chiron).
                      Travelling faster than light is not possible. All tricks a theoretical physicist could think of could be used by the light as well and on this way it will overtake us. But due to the miracles of relativity, it is possible to do the trip to the next galaxy (4 000 000 000 light years away) in two years of your living time. But when you are back on earth, you will meet probably none of your roughly 4 000 000 030 year old friends ...

PS: In these threads I read so often "off topic". IMHO, general discussions which are stimulated by SMACX are fine in the SMAC-general forum
                      Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

...witch hunts and MIRIAM.
                        And here we are again. Blame Miriam! Nobody likes her

Ãœbermensch - matter of definition
                        True. I think that if people are going to wait supermen to be born out of genetic engineering...they have a long wait ahead of them. If there are such things as overmen, they will be borned through philosophy of life, not through tampering with genes. After all, genetic profile is such a superficial part of human despite of its fundamental effect. Genes don't make Ãœbermensch.

Clinical immortality - no. And I wouldn't want it: If there were no aging, people would starve or be killed. There are only limited resources on Earth (or Chiron).
                        Clinical Immortality may be discovered within decades and genetic treatments enabling such immortality will be preserved for those with will and wealth to live longer than others.

Travelling faster than light is not possible. All tricks a theoretical physicist could think of could be used by the light as well and on this way it will overtake us
                        I know Theory of Relativity well enough to believe that FTL travelling is impossible, but I wouldn't rule any possibility out. I would find it VERY SURPRISING if Einstein, a human being living in 20th century, would have discovered even a percent of possibilities and restrictions of physics. I haven't live for long. But I have experienced enough to say that anything is possible.
                        "I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."

Comment

Optical Computers

Optical Computers: We have reached an informational threshold which can only be crossed by harnessing the speed of light directly. The quickest computations require the fastest possible particles moving along the shortest paths. Since the capability now exists to take our information directly from photons travelling molecular distances, the final act of the information revolution will soon be upon us. - Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "For I Have Tasted The Fruit"

"Researchers at Johns Hopkins University recently demonstrated a data-transfer system that would allow chips to communicate via light rather than electrons."
                          Full article at http://www.extremetech.com/article/0...3D21560,00.asp.
                          I don't know if or when ExtremeTech expires their articles. This one is dated 23Jan2002.

On another topic raised in this thread,
                          Shai-Hulud:
                          (quoting Adalbertus): ...witch hunts and MIRIAM.

And here we are again. Blame Miriam! Nobody likes her
                          I like Miriam - her passion and enthusiasm are admirable, although I disagree with her application of her beliefs. Maybe her very close escape from death aboard the Unity messed her up a bit.
                          I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Maybe her very close escape from death aboard the Unity messed her up a bit.
                            Journey to Centauri gives a faint implication to this in the very end. And when you compare the old Miriam and the Miriam the faction leader...there's quite a difference. Personally, I think she became a self proclaimed prophet. Similar to Yang's fate in "Dragon Sun". They lost their ideology to their grandiose egos.

Comment

Originally posted by Adalbertus
                              Ãœbermensch - matter of definition.
                              You can't make the Overman just by tinkering with the genes of a normal man. Supermen are not regular men who just happen to be six-foot-six. It is a mindset, a way of thinking. The Ubermensch is a man whose mind and attitudes transcend the rest of humanity.

I happen to like the Will to Power, because I also believe in Social Darwinism.
                              Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Working...
                              X