Staying above rising sea levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying above rising sea levels

I suspect that this subject has been tossed about in several threads already, but I haven't been getting a lot of satisfaction lately with searching, so maybe we can start a new compendium of insight here.

As the title suggests, the situation is that the sea level is rising and there are important assets in the danger zone - what do you do?
    0 - Whats so hard about this? Just put up the $#*!*%! Solar Shade ;
    1 - I didn't like the way I did that terraforming anyway; Let it sink ;
    2 - He's gotta have it! Raise that bridge ;
    3 - Making do: Bring on the Subsea Trunklines ;
    4 - What do you mean, Captain, the Sea level is getting higher?

So you build the pressure domes in the low lying bases, what do you do next. (Or, if you raise up the land under your sea base and it becomes part of an opponents landmass, is there a housewarming party?)

How about a general strategy, supposing that the goal were to keep the land/sea boundary in the same place as much as possible.

Pointers to relevant prior threads would also be appreciated.

Clearly, if you raise the land, you can keep it out of the ocean, but what are the side effects. Does the land go down somewhere else to balance it out, or are your engineers somehow building a vast hollow superstructure under your territory? What if you don't really want to trash all the kelp/solars you've painfully constructed just offshore and turn them into rocky/arid/fungus (and fungus denizens). Some things remain if the sea rises - you can usually still see the kelp, although you can't produce it until you raise it up again.

Just recently there was a thread that discussed, among other things, what happened when you raised or lowered terrain in the various special regions, like the jungle - it seemed that for the most part, it lost its specialness. But what about the mundane; if you raise a tile with a farm/solar on it, is it still there? IIRC, that stuff stays there; apparently there is a team of little (strong) elves hoisting the solar arrays up 1 meter at a time, 1000 times .

What about the terrain itself? As I recall, if you lift up undeveloped terrain, it goes through changes, like getting wetter or dryer and even rockier. The improvements may still be there, but they aren't working like they should. I think, but am not sure, that special resources tend to appear and disappear, especially, but not only, when you cross the water/land threshhold in either direction.

My main concern is with things like Boreholes and Condensors. Can you raise them up directly? If you raise a borehole and it no longer is on the lowest level of all the neighboring tiles, does it still work? If you can't raise it directly, if you raise the tile next door does that work? (There would be 2 variations of that; 1: where the neighbor is already 1K higher and it presumably would raise the borehole tile; and 2: where the neighbor is originally at the same height, does it reshuffle the heights maybe raising or maybe lowering).

How about those tiles along the north and south edges; do you have to raise each one or will every other one suffice? Do you end up with a 2 tile wide strip of beach?

So how about a big brain drain covering all you know about successfully dealing with changing sea levels.

Thanks

On a related note, I once tried to submerge an AI's base with formers and was surprised to see a Pressure Dome built at the same time as the base went under - I had been keeping tabs on the base and it never had been building a Pressure Dome. Does the AI cheat in this case?

Comment

Once you build a borehole, you can raise it with no impact. I sometimes make an energy park that way if the terrain is right. Build a row of boreholes at the coast, then raise some more land, and build some more.

I never paid much attention to what else happens, though.
      "Nine out of ten voices in my head CAN'T be wrong, can they?"

Comment

IIRC, then if a base without a pressure dome is submerged, then it loses a random amount of pop before they can get a dome up (I think partially by switching production). If they can't pay the price, the city sinks. Also, it seems that if you try to drown an enemy base with a sea former, the price is insanely high (I've seen it cost around 32000 ECs!).

As to what to do about Global Warming: my philosophy is just to never let it happen in the first place. I find it really hard to deal with, and even if you reverse the effects with a solar shade, it totally screws up the landscape. (especially if you launch the shade 1 turn after the global warming starts, this means that the level goes up and then down, which is REALLY bad).

Comment

Originally posted by Yxklyx
          On a related note, I once tried to submerge an AI's base with formers and was surprised to see a Pressure Dome built at the same time as the base went under - I had been keeping tabs on the base and it never had been building a Pressure Dome. Does the AI cheat in this case?
          i have kept good tabs on the AI in these situations, and yes it is a cheat.

Comment

Originally posted by moi
            i have kept good tabs on the AI in these situations, and yes it is a cheat.
            Well, not quite a cheat, as the game will provide free pressure domes for your bases also! I used to build domes, but gave up once I realised this...

I'm not sure what the threshold is, but free domes are provided for all bases above about size 3.

Comment

really? i never noticed that; i always build domes in every base, just in case.

Comment

I also build domes in every base,because they also count as recycling tanks (although they dont add to any already there) and i have seen plenty of ai bases sunk through global warming (its quite hilarious in fact) and have also sunk ai cities with formers,but remeber the more terraformed stuff around the city,the more exspensive it is i also think (but not sure) the cost of the city is added to the price,thus the massive costs.

Comment

I've seen bases (usually the Believer's) go under and be destroyed by global warming so it's not always automatic that a pressure dome gets built. Maybe it only gets built when a former is the culprit, or maybe the faction has to pay for it and if it doesn't have enough money the base drowns.

Comment

The automatic build of Pressure Domes doesn't seem to be a matter of money (only): Once I successfully sank a Morgan base (size 8 or 10 ..., SMAC V 4.0), and Morgan never was accused of poverty, also not in this specific game, IIRC.
                    Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

I've found that if you launch your solar shade quick enough, sea level elevation doesn't happen at all. Very cool.
                      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Yes, I found out recently that if you launch the shade on the turn that global warming starts there is no effect from either of them.

Comment

Terraforming up seems to magically preserve all terriforming including boreholes and solar arrays. The only time you need to worry is if you are terraforming up a landmark.

I am happy to hear about the feature of launching shade at the same time as the first notice is received. Because in all other situations you seem to compound the problem by getting both up and down fluctuations in the sea level.

If it is not possible to launch solar shade at the same time as the first notice of global warming, then I use a lot of caution in both terraforming up and launching shade at a later date. This is partly because I tend to ring my coastline with energy sea crawlers on tidal harnesses. Often terraforming up is as much of a loss as it is a gain for me, unless the warming is extreme.

So I first make note of the date so I can do everything in time without a panic. Then I'll build pressure domes in low lying bases (selling off the rec tanks as the domes are completed), selectively terraform up where the gains obviously outweight the losses, and finally move units such as crawlers to safer ground.

Sea bonus tiles magically transform into Unity pods when raised, so you'll want to nab those. You also will want to look around and see how the competition is doing. The damaging effects of global warming are felt unequally. If you have the least worries it is to your advantage to block any initiative to launch the shade.

One caution - there is not a complete correlation between lands "endangered" and those tiles that actually sink or become exposed. I my last game I lost several sea crawlers that weren't on "endangered" waters but the sea level drop (after the delayed launch of solar shade) was greater than expected.

Comment

Yes, I found out recently that if you launch the shade on the turn that global warming starts there is no effect from either of them.
                            For me, this sometimes worked, sometimes it didn't. Is it possible that the Solar Shade sinks the Sea Level by 333m always, and the pollution sometimes by 333 m and sometimes by 167 m? (But then, in the course of 20 years I often had a sinking by by far more than 167 or even 333 m. And I always start the shade immediately after the global warming message ...
                            Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

IIRC, you can't launch a solar shade more often than once every 20 years. You can't submit the same resolution to Council more frequently than that. I'm pretty sure the Launch Solar Shade option is covered by that restriction. If there are a lot of uses of gas and/or other atrocities being committed, you can quickly outpace the ability to shade...even the ability to raise terrain.

One of my IP/pbem games a few years back ended up with sea levels having risen in excess of 2500m. There wasn't much land left at the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X