Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to be or not to be

since smac offers a nice variety of victories i'm curious:

what is your prefered way to win your games (singleplayer/smac)?

speaking for myself: i prefer to reach a higher level of consciousness - transcendance...
    bloody conquest
    26.19%
    smart diplomacy (planetary governor)
    14.29%
    capitalistic offensive (economic victory)
    0.00%
    transcendence
    54.76%
    timeout (retirement)
    0.00%
    my colony gets wiped out all the time
    0.00%
    desertion (quitting the game)
    4.76%
    Last edited by TresXF; January 17, 2002, 11:53.

I have not played SP in a few months but I would almost always win as planetary governor (so thats what I voted for) but I would usually achieve it by conquest such that I got 3 times as big as the rest of the factions combined. I have NEVER had a faction defy the governorship vote

At the stage where a win is a foregone conclusion, it just seemed to be a pain to go to transcendence or hunt down all those isolated AI bases. So I would trigger the vote to end the game
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Transcendance

It is the only way... for a builder, since I was first a momentum player, then switched to hybrid, and then to builder. I don't like Economic victories, probably beacues they cost too much.
      ... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality...
      ... Pain is an illusion...

Comment

I voted for bloody conquest cause that's my style

I either make other factions submit to me and vote myself as planetary governor, or wipe out the other factions. I've never won by economic victory cause when I usually attempt it, it says I need around 20,000 creds---->something that would never happen since I'm usually raking in a net worth of 12 creds a year!

Subvert the other factions and make them your slaves!!!

Miriam, Lal, Santiago, Morgan, Skye--->I usually befriend Zak
        Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
        Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
        *****Citizen of the Hive****
        "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Oh yeah,

I forgot to mention that one time I was voted planetary governor and Skye defied it as well as Lal.

Maybe it had something to do with all those quantum fission busters I launched at them...
          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
          *****Citizen of the Hive****
          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Transcendance - I just have to smash that big floating ball. (Okay - I have no clue as to what that movie is trying to tell me.)

Comment

Transcendence 90% of the time, Energy market cornering and diplo for the balance.

It's also neat to be the pactmate of a co-op transcendence - you get to be the emissary back to Earth and see a cool movie

Comment

Bloody Conquest.

1] Thin Expansion
                2] Building & Tech Race
                3] Once that race is won, I have an advantage that I can take into battle.

I Ascended once just to see how it looked, but I don't usually have the patience to play for that long (hence I have almost never experienced orbital insertion, nukes, hovertanks et al.)

Actually I have almost never made anything clean.

It just goes to show, you can "master" the SP game without being much of a master at all.
                "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
                "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
                - Pekka

Comment

I'd really like to win an economic victory, but I've never had enough money to do it. I play Morgan most of the time, so I should . . .

Anyway, I also like diplomatic victory, because I like the idea of all the other leaders kneeling before my golden throne.
                  Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

you may take a look at the votes of my german fellows.
                    Last edited by TresXF; January 16, 2002, 14:00.

Comment

didn't vote for any category

I like to take over the land masses where my inital base is, preferably on an island with no more than 20 cities. My gaming interest drops dramatically when I have go conquer other people's lands or islands, either by sea or by ground connected by formers.

And I enjoy playing as a perveted neighbor who occasionally harasses other peoples' dominion, but have absolutly no intention of conquering nor obliterating their bases. I want this kind of game to go on forever, as long as I am able to maintain my 20 cities on my island, I am as happy as a clam.

Comment

I voted for Transcendance, but it's generally either that or conquest. I don't usually intend to conquer the world, it's just that the other factions keep on declaring war on me, and to deal with that, I beat them into into submission... and I end up doing that to everyone. Also, sometimes if I subdue a couple of factions easily, I just get on a roll and start conquering everyone else.

Comment

Trancendence, for three reason:
                          Because it's difficult, and I love the challenge (the true challenge is to not destroy too fast your enemies ...)
                          Because I'm fond of the final "movie" (it's the only type of victory that has the movie)
                          But over all:
                          Because of the score!

-Vultur
                          Aslo the gods are impotent against men's stupidity --Frederich Shiller
                          In my vocabulary the word "Impossible" doesn't exist --Napoleon
                          Stella Polaris Development Team -> Senior Code Writer (pro tempore) & Designer

Comment

you missed out alien victory (which btw also has a movie)

Comment

I want this kind of game to go on forever
                              @ k.k.fly: then you have to vote for "timeout"

you missed out alien victory
                              @ fluffy: i forgot to mention: SMAC only (editing now...)
                              Last edited by TresXF; January 17, 2002, 12:31.

Comment

Working...
                              X