Sound issues in SMAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound issues in SMAC

Love the game... it worked fine until I upgraded to XP. Now the sound is choppy for the wonder descriptions and other leader descriptions. Soundblaster PCI512, Geforce2MX/400. I upgraded my sound drivers, to no avail, and added the EAX=0 to the .ini file.
    ----
    Humanity and it's environment are our future, not gods.

Welcome to NT/W2K/XP.

I get a nice echo in SMAC, it gives some of the tech discoveries an interesting eerie quality.

Maybe a different version (and not necessarily the newest) of the drivers will work better - what about DirectX drivers?

If nothing else, your machine will you for it and reward you by staying up more.

Comment

DirectX drivers are current... XP ships with 8.1

It's still playable... it isn't like the speakers are shrieking at full volume every time there's a tech advance. It's just a little annoying scratchy echo. In fact, I'd say that the game is more playable in this state than Civ3 is in general
      ----

Comment

My Solution

Hey,

Just wanted to post this information. I spoke with EA tech support, and they instructed me to turn down hardware acceleration for DirectX sound... from inside the DXDIAG tool. I turned it down to 'basic' and it works flawlessly. It's like I'm playing it for the first time again Hope this info is useful for other people.
        ----

Comment

Working...
        X