Sound problems in SMAC/SMACX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound problems in SMAC/SMACX

I am having problems with sound overlapping and scratchiness while faction leaders are speaking. I am running WinXP and have latest patches. Any ideas?
    Thanks

Only one way to get a quick response on this:

PM (private message) Asher, he's our Apolyton XP/Sound/Video/Processor techie guy. Do this by clicking "control panel" under the big Apolyton logo in the top left of the screen, then go to the "Private Messanging" tab, and compose a message and send it. Odds are he'll get back to you within the day, and will probably solve your problem in the first or second reply.

More than likely he'll tell you to update your drivers, but since I'm not very into XP's technical faults I couldn't tell you one way or the other. Go for it, and tell him I sent ya.

Comment

Bruce, I too have occasional sound problems with XP along the lines of your description. I have the Santa Cruz sound card. I can always solve the problem by restarting the computer.

I have no idea what triggers the problem for me, but it is very rare. I take it that your problem is constant, as opposed to rare. If that is the case, I would like to know how you solved the problem just in case my own problem gets worse.

Ned
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Now that you've both mentioned it, I too have a general scratchiness on the sound under XP - I put it down to being a cheap soundcard on my new rig (but I guess that's not it, if it's a fairly common nuisance)

I'll try the usual stuff - I have downloaded some additional windows drivers that they say provide more compatibility between XP and former windows versions - don't know if that will make any difference but I'll keep this thread current if it does.

G.

Comment

I solved problem by setting D3D to 0 in the INI file. I also have EAX set to 0. They both were set to 1.
          Thanks for the replies

Comment

Gargantua posted this in Bruce's thread at Civfanatics:

"Do you have SBlive! sound card?
            Add this line to your Alpha Centauri.ini file
            eax=0

it will disable EAX"
            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Working...
            X