XP problems with SMAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP problems with SMAC

I recently started playing SMAC after a friend had given my a copy of the game. I just got a new DELL 8200 with XP loaded on it ( pentium 1.8 processor with a G-Force video card). When I installed SMAC I was able to get the game to work but when I tried to install the patch so that I can PBEM I get an error message saying the my CPU is not supported. When I re-install SMAC it works again. I would appreciate any help. I have tried running the progam in the compatablity mode with all versions of windows and it still didnt work. If you had the same problem and you were able to fix it please post your solution, in detail, so that I can get back to SMACing.
    I thank you for your help....

Have a look at the readme file - the fix for that is in there. Something to do with newer chips not being recognised...
    'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna

Comment

I am also having problems reading the readme file. I keep getting an error message when I try to access the readme file. So if you happen to have
      that info please, please post it so I can make the fix. Thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks. Also, would getting SMACX and installing that fix the problem as well?

Comment

Per the readme file, for cpu not supported, change a AlphaCentauri.ini file line
        ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0

to
        ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1
        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Working...
        X