Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No probing for tech on turn of discovery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No probing for tech on turn of discovery?

I have had this experience twice now. Is it a feature?

In a single player game, as Caretakers, practicing my start and tactics for Manifold 6, I waited till Morgan discovered gene splicing, and then probed him for it: I got his map.

In NU2, I waited until Misotu and Tau Ceti had just discovered HEC and D:AP (same turn, and passed to Misotu), and I probed Mis twice, and got: first her map???, then the only other tech she had that I didn't, Int Integrity. (luckily I cashed a pod, and got HEC, and Googlie and I still beat them to MMI by 1 turn, and I was able to instabuild the CF, and CA).

Is this known to all. If it is a feature, it precludes stealing a tech, the turn someone discovers it, and stealing a SP. I would then always give you 1 turn of grace, to prepare to build that SP, that you got because of an unexpected tech from a pod pop, gift, or whatever.

Does anyone else have experience, or knowledge in this area?
    Team 'Poly

I've seen this several times, but I get the impression it is subject to some random chance of finding the new tech - if you re-load several times, you sometimes will get it, sometimes not....

Comment

Nope - in DT12 a couple of turns ago, I stole Superstring Theory the turn Paul discovered it. Of course, he still beat me to the ToE by cashing in about 6 artifacts but I haven't seen that before. Maybe getting a map is a random choice along with getting a tech, albeit very small.....? Otherwise, I can't explain it...
      We're back!
      http://www.civgaming.net/forums

Comment

So it must be just a random occurance then, maybe only on the 1st turn after a tech is discovered?

My experience previous to the 2 encounters I had in my 1st post were that:

If the other side had a tech that you didn't you always 1st got the tech, then once all tech was had, you got the map.

So I guess the question should be: Has anyone else ever got the map instead of a tech?:
        A. the turn a tech was discovered (I have, twice)
        B. after that (me, never)

bc
        Team 'Poly

Comment

map instead of tech? yes that happens sometimes, rare but not impossible.
          It's close to midnight and something evil's is lurking in the dark.

Comment

I have gotten a map instead of tech. I think (but can't confirm) that any time it happened, the faction probed only had one tech that I never had. But I never thought to check how many turns that they had the tech.

Comment

Working...
            X