How do I ditch the Aliens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I ditch the Aliens?

Hmmm? The short of it is that I own SMAX and love the enchancements, but I've quickly tired of those boorish, curmudgeony trolls who do nothing but cramp up a good, modified-rules builder game. So during a new game with random factions, how do I remove the chance of the Caretakers and the Usurpers showing up?
    "I wake. I work. I sleep. I die. The dark of space my only sky. My life is passed, and all I've been will never touch the earth again." --The Ballad of Sky Farm 3, Anonymous, Datalinks

you can go into terranx.txt and delete the usurpers and the caretakers from the factions (near the bottom of the file), or you can just pick the other factions yourself (wouldn't be random but you'd definitely avoid the aliens that way).

the terranx file should be in c:/program files/sid meier's alpha centauri

HTH!
    drones to the left of me, spartans to the right - here i am, stuck in the middle with yang

Comment

If you're referring to the #NewFactions list in the alphax.txt file, I did try deleting them, but it screws up the start of the game when the faction selection screen shows up (it locks up). Is there no other way? Or will I simply have to manually select them each time?
      "I wake. I work. I sleep. I die. The dark of space my only sky. My life is passed, and all I've been will never touch the earth again." --The Ballad of Sky Farm 3, Anonymous, Datalinks

Comment

Did you replace the alien factions with 2 other factions [in alphax.txt]? Maybe copies of 2 factions already in the list or 2 brand new factions? I'm not sure if this will fix the problem, since the terranx.exe engine has a special routine to handle the insertion of the aliens during gameplay. It may get 'confused' if it can't find at least 1 of the alien factions.

Good luck.

- Scipio
        Delende est Ashcrofto

Comment

heh heh.... well, it looks like i don't know what i'm talking about.

i WAS referring to the newfactions list - sorry it didn't work. listen to scipio - sounds like he's knowledgable about this.
          drones to the left of me, spartans to the right - here i am, stuck in the middle with yang

Comment

OK - here's how to ditch the Alien factions:

Go to Rynn's Gallery:

and download the 2 non-pirate zip files and unzip them into your sid meier's alpha centauri folders. they are the faction files for two cloned factions - the Academy, a clone of the UoP, and the Workers, a Drone Clone

Now open up alphax.txt and right near the end is the #NEWFACTION list of the seven smax factions

delete

CARETAKE, CARETAKE
            USURPER, USURPER

add:

WORKERS, WORKERS
            ACADEMY, ACADEMY

Now when you choose "random all factions" on start up you'll get no aliens (i.e. hit the top right of the graphic where it will display "mix of original and new factions").

Note though that if you get pbems to play with the alien factions in them your graphics will bomb due to the "phantom faction' problem. To remedy this, before you open that PBEM turn add back into your alphax.txt, right below the #CUSTOMFACTIONS the two lines you have deleted (but delete them after the turn otherwise they will again become available for the game to choose when you randomize factions at the start).

If you have enough free space on your hard drive, you might want to completely copy to anither folder the whole smac/x directory, then you can label one terranx.exe the "no-alien" one and keep the other traditional.

Googlie
            Last edited by Googlie; October 27, 2001, 09:52.

Comment

Just choose the factions yourself. Find a way to select them randomly, minus the Aliens of course.

Comment

You were right Scopio, and you Googie, providing the details on the matter. Thanks a bunch for getting me out of the bind!

Comment

Originally posted by RobN
                  Just choose the factions yourself. Find a way to select them randomly, minus the Aliens of course.
                  This was my first reaction - some variation on names from a hat - but part of the fun of random factions is not knowing who you are facing. Unless you got someone else to choose, you'd know ahead of time (closing eyes and clicking randomly aside, but you might randomly click those damn aliens.)

Comment

Why don't you just start a game with random factions. If, after 10 moves you have yet to see the arrival of the aliens, then you have all human factions.

Otherwise, just restart and try again.

Ned
                    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

But that'd jsut take so long! Imagine if the Aliens were in the game say ten times in a row!

Comment

You don't need to play 10 turns, or even 1 for that matter.

Start the game, and as soon as your turn begins hit F1 and click on the "Factions" button. That will tell you who is in the game.

Then if the Aliens are there, ctrl-shift-q and choose "Quick Start". That will start a new game with the same paramaters that your previous one had, but since you chose "Random" for the factions, they'll be randomly picked again for the new game.
                        "That which does not kill me, makes me stronger." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
                        "That which does not kill me, missed." -- Anonymous war gamer
                        "I fear that we have awakened a sleeping giant and instilled in it a terrible resolve." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Comment

I tried those two new clone factions but when I select the Academy in the start up window the text has garbage. Should the two new factions be using pictures of the Morgan and Domai?

Comment

Working...
                          X