Swapping Gravships and Copters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping Gravships and Copters

Try it. It really takes the copter out of the game (until late) and replaces it with a single-attack unit that just sits there after an an attack, like a copter, exposed to counter-attack. I am still playing my first game with this swap in place. I can report that chop and drop is really a thing of the past with this unit - most of all because one can simple take bases with a gravship. Airborne infrantry are not needed.

The strategy that evolves is this: Infrantry again are the primary assault force, with gravships somewhat taking a backseat to regular airpower that has the advantage that they provide aircover for the infrantry.

Only one AI faction has built any gravships. I had expected a swarm to be invading my home island. It did not happen.

Also, strangely, the AI does not use ground or naval units to attack gravships. It exclusively uses interceptors. This is obviously an AI bug.

Anywho, in the game I am currently playing, Zak has been ahead the whole game. He has the HSA, which made stealing his tech "difficult." Finally, I have reached his home island and have taken a few bases. But my attack has completely stalled. He has numbers of 8r defenders in each base. The bases are also protected by Tachyon defenses. My fusion shard infrantry simply bounce off these defenders.

I think I am stuck until I get a higher reactor than fusion. However, the present situation has never, not once, ever happend to me before - a virtually invunerable AI that is keeping up in the tech race.

Ned
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

How do elite (you ought to be able to make at least commando) Conventional Missiles do against that defensive setup? I would think that a couple of those should take out one of those dudes, even with the Tachyon (and probably even with an Aerospace Center).

Can a non-SAM ground or sea unit attack a gravship in the open like a chopper or is it like an NJ or Locust instead?

Comment

It should be like a Locust, as IIRC the locust is based on a Gravship "chassis"
      The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
      Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
      All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
      "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

A good suggestion. Why, just the other day someone was 'discussing' their game prowess and mentioned that "Yeah, but then I get choppers..build 10 of them and it's game over," which is just painful for me to hear, because it's true. Tweaking their abilities is one option, but I agree that moving them elsewhere in the tree is one of the best solutions.

The alpha.txt #CHASSIS section gives you all you need to know to make this change.

-Smack
        Visit Aldebaran:Aldebaranweb

Comment

Johnd, Well, missilles don't do so well. They have a power of 18 while the 8R AA Tachyon, elite is 8 * 2 * 2 * 1.5 = 48.

Well, I just finished that game. Never got to Quantum power. Just brought in artillery and about 20+ shard infrantry. This combo worked. However, I did lose about 10 infrantry per base.

Any unit can attack a grav ship. It's just like a copter in this regard. It's just that the AI treats them like they were a needjet.

Ned
          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

I've got gravship issues going on too, and I'd like to experiment a bit. Actually, there's a number of things with which I'd like to experiment.

Can I use a scenario editor to make a game with no AI players, a few human players, and give them all the techs, a few bases, and a number of units to play with?
            "Minding Your Business Since 1991"

Comment

Working...
            X