Units and home base disbanded/destroyed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Units and home base disbanded/destroyed

"let the base disband ... the crawlers will have been rehomed to the nearest base..."
    -originally posted by MariOne
    from thread "In the beginning, . . . there was Yang . . . "

This is news to me, that units are re-homed when their home base is taken away. Does this apply only to crawlers and disband bases, or does this extend to other unit types and destroyed bases as well? (We all know that a colony pod will be left on land or a sea colony pod left at sea when production of them disbands the base.)
    "Minding Your Business Since 1991"

When a base is lost, its units will be homed to the base they are nearest to. I have seen this most commonly when on campaign against another faction, and the few remaining seabases are supporting all the factions remaining units, with no minerals.

A corollary to mention is "what happens when I donate a base to a submissive?" Sometimes all units inside it are relocated to your nearest base, and all its units supported are re-homed. Sometimes, however, units are disbanded or convey with the base. On several occasions I have been upset to find that the elite 1-5-1AAA defender was donated to Santiago when I returned Assassin's Redoubt upon her surrender. As yet, I ahve not noticed a pattern, but haven't done any testing either . . .

Comment

Well then, that puts me much more at ease about supporting a multitude of units from only a few bases with punishment spheres: no fear of losing one-third of my forces in the field if one of those bases is destroyed or captured.
      "Minding Your Business Since 1991"

Comment

I haven't been able to figure out the disposition of untis associatd with a base that is turned over to a submissive. It seems that before 2200 I get the units back and after 2200 they stay with the base, or maybe it's not an exact year but a tech or reactor level or relative might or something. But definitely the first few bases I turn over I get the units back and then later on they stay with the base.
        Creator of the Ultimate Builder Map, based on the Huge Map of Planet, available at The Chironian Guild:
        http://guild.ask-klan.net.pl/eng/index.html

Comment

When Gifting a base to a Treaty-partner (or pactmate? can't remember):

I consider it a cheat in my own SP games, but one way to control this is to move the units just out of the base prior to giving it to its new owner. I've never seen this fail (doesn't mean I'm right), but these units are transported by magic to your next nearest base. In fact, you can use this feature to move units all over the place by carefully sequencing which direction the units head and the order in which you give up bases.

For losing a base: As Earwicker said, it's just re-homing to the nearest base, no magic.

Am I imagining it, or are there cases in which the units are just disbanded? I seem to recall that if a base is far from other friendly bases and is destroyed or taken over, the units go poof.

-Smack
          Visit Aldebaran:Aldebaranweb

Comment

Smack, I have seen it fail. I have gifted bases and lost all units within one square along with it. I can't verify a two sqare (ie base radii) loss though.

It's anoying when you lose a base to a probe and lose surrounding units too. Although I recall someone saying that was one of the differences between total though control and regular mind control.
            Fitz. (n.) Old English
            1. Child born out of wedlock.
            2. Bastard.

Comment

Working...
            X