No announcement yet.

Dragon Sun is out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've finished the book about a month ago. Man, that was a tough 4 days! I couldn't put the book down.

Dealing with Chairman Yang (my hero ) He was even better in the book than I imagined him to be! The only thing that pissed me off is the end.

Well, the only thing that I don't understand is if the journal entries are at that present time, or a reflection of the past?

Other than that...I hope the Chairman reappears again in the third book and gives Miriam, Deidre, and Lal a good whuppin'!
    Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
    *****Citizen of the Hive****
    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Wow!

Just incredible. I read non-stop - I even engaged in submensical literacy (reading under the desk for those of you who don't understand Latin derivations ) during lessons. Finished the entire book (plus rereading) in a day, which I was quite pleased with. I've done better though - my record was Pratchett's Thief of Time (great book) thrice through in a day.

Great twist in the end by the way!
      "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Hi guys

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you liked the book, and I hope you like book 3 just as much. I've already finished it but it's being edited and typeset and all that and it will be released in february of 2002. Maybe I'll drop a hint or two about it here in advance. Actually here's the first hint, for Alynzia...Miriam's breasts do not make an appearance, but unfortunately Morgan's do (just kidding).

Glad you like the Yang characterization. He's my favorite faction leader as well, and the Hive does play a role in the final book, including Yang's daughter.

Lastly, for frankychan, the journal entries are intended to be from the time just following the events of the book.

catch you later!
        michael

Comment

Is this groovy or what? The book itself is good but thinking that it originated here is even groovier

^Runs butt naked around neighbourhood screaming ... "I know the author, I know the author, I know the author... I am sooooooo special!

Can I be a hero in any of your books? I'd buy a copy for each of my friends!!! Really!

"Admiral Jools?"

"Huh? Yeah, wha?"

ADDED:
          Hey did I mention I was Apolyton's First Centurian Tales Teller??? I got fired soon because I had no connection to the NET... Fired... nah replaced...

BTW, I love the Viking Scribes and the Smac Tales. There are many talented writers here.
          Last edited by Jools; September 30, 2001, 14:30.
          Jools Weevil Jr.
          what have you been drinking again jools?-MarkG
          Have a nice ****ing day

Comment

I've gotten half way through the book and I really do like it so far. The first one is still by favorite simply cause the Spartans are my favorite faction. I do like the descriptions of Yang so far. I also like the descriptions of the Special Projects. I can't wait for the final book and hope that some kind of series set in the SMAC universe does come to be. I belive that SMAC could be a rich source for many books. Just look here on the AC fiction forum and you will see. Just like in the game, there are countless possibilities.

Great book so far and I look forward to the third installment.

edit: Another thing I look forward to is someone here creating a secenerio.
            Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Dragon Sun is a lot better than the Centauri Dawn. I really love the way faction ideology, tech advances, and secret projects are described in the book. However, I think the Empath Guild in the book is way too overpowered compared to the already super-powerful Empath Guild in the game. Neural Grafting is considered a fairly normal tech in the game, but seems to be some sort of evil in the book.

Well, that's all I can say about the Dragon Sun, and I'm looking forward to the next book.

Comment

hey Michael,

when do you think we'll see a game like the one Yang is playing?
                Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Michael,
                  Love book so far (Chapter 2) !!
                  Not a criticism but could you include maps/drawings?? I just feel it would add an extra level of immersion to story.
                  I just purchased SMAX two nights ago and love it so far but I am a total Newbie!!
                  Thanks for all your hard work and I hope you continue with series.

Comment

Wow this book sounds really cool.... of course I would have to get the first one first... but... the books aren't in New Zealand!!! NO!

Comment

Originally posted by Basilisk
                      Wow this book sounds really cool.... of course I would have to get the first one first... but... the books aren't in New Zealand!!! NO!
                      Ouch Shipping would be more than the price of the book.
                      Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

The Next Book

Is 'Book III: Twilight of the Mind' coming out next month, or was February 2002 provisional?

Alynzia.

Comment

Very positive surprise for a book based on game. I've seen so many bad book-turned-movies and likewise that I had almost given up hope. One problem with a serie is that there is so much to tell about. You can hardly include it all in three books, but the essentials are there. Maybe a bit more improvisation and depth to the technology. There are a lot of themes that SMAC universe offers and not all of them are fully exploited in the story.

Friend of mine said that he felt you were presenting your own ideals by portraying Yang as an egoist dictator. Then again, aren't all dictators egoists? However, the profile of Yang in the book is different...more crude when compared to SMAC and Journey to Centauri. I suppose we've always thought that Yang was harsh and cruel, but also an idealist of some sort. In the book he is described more as a completely self obsessed dictator who is losing power over his subjects. A failure, unlike other faction leaders.

As a Free Market emphatizer I'm little disappointed that there won't be much focus into Morgan's ultra-capitalist society. It would have been nice to see your vision of that one.

But all together, very nice work with the SMAC universe. I'm grateful to be able to read novels based on my favorite game.
                          "I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
                          - Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

Comment

Re: The Next Book

^
                            Last edited by Googlie; February 8, 2002, 13:20.

Comment

I just read the book (Borders in Australia finally got Dragon Sun, but neither of the other two), and I have just one question: Did anyone else think that Deirdre was (also) wrong?
                              Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Shai-Hulud

As a Free Market emphatizer I'm little disappointed that there won't be much focus into Morgan's ultra-capitalist society. It would have been nice to see your vision of that one.
                                Capitalism is great
                                Hands up to you Shai-Hulud!
                                Morgan should get his own book soon, maybe a book about his righteous self defence crusade against the evil Gaians that keep sending their mindworms to destroy their precious borholes and condensers and mirrors.
                                Get off my land you peacekeeping son of a....-Morgan Entertainment

Comment

Working...
                                X