No announcement yet.

Memories of CIV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John, Yes I was talking about Civ I. WinCiv had some interesting bugs and was a lot slower on the that day's PC's.

The reason I think CIV I was harder than all subsequent versions is that that the AI could get trade routes without actually sending caravan. This provided then with significant trade income that has not been enjoyed by the AI until the recent changes we have suggested here to make the AI passive.

Ned
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Didn't the Civ1 AI cheat like crazy? Like getting free Wonders / spaceships...

Comment

Doesn't all Civ serie AI players "cheat like crazy"?
        "What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel! In apprehension how like a God! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals!" - Shakespeare

Comment

Blake, I don't know if the wonders were free or not since we didn't have infiltrator ability in that game. However, after the AI had researched a tech, it would soon get the wonder.

I suspect what was actually happening was this:

It built caravans in other cities, which when built could automatically be cashed in a city building an SP. This probably made it seem as if there was a cheat going on. Even today the AI builds crawlers to rush build an SP. I don't this this behavior is anything new.

I am also convinced that the AI rush builds SP using EC's. I have been monitoring competitive AI SP builds. Many times it has, for example, 10 turns to go. Maybe one or two adjacent cities are building crawlers. However, the next time you check, there are 0 turns to go. How did this happen? It either cashed a lot of crawlers that we could not see, or else used money to rush build.

Obviously, the AI was doing the same thing in CIV I, but we simply could not see it.

Also, does anyone remember seeing an AI diplomat in CIV I? Not me. However, I have had numerous cities captured by AI dipllomats I never saw.

Ned
          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Spooky ... I have never played Civ I. That sounds terrible Ned. We're all with you on this one!
            "What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel! In apprehension how like a God! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals!" - Shakespeare

Comment

Working...
            X