Locusts of Chiron Capture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locusts of Chiron Capture

This evening, I was playing a SP game as the Uni. I popped a pod using a captured spore launcher, and lo and behold, out comes a Locust. That's a first ... Has anyone else had that happen yet?

Anyways, Using the spore launcher, I attempted (I was curious, ok?) to attack it... believe it or not.. wound up *capturing* it. This has to be the most unusual capture I've ever seen or heard of. Anyone else have this experience?

Just seems kinda ODD to me.... technically, I know they could be captured... but with a spore launcher? *shakes head*

For the less knowledgeable of us was this with SMAC or SMAX? I've never encountered a spore launcher. Then again I've only encountered the locusts once, but that was once too many.

Ken

Comment

I once got a fungal pop which spawned a big stack of locusts, then I captured the stack of locusts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Hinds
        For the less knowledgeable of us was this with SMAC or SMAX? I've never encountered a spore launcher. Then again I've only encountered the locusts once, but that was once too many.

Ken
        SMACX. Locusts and spore launchers only appear in smacx. Otherwise you get the garden variety of mindworms.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
          I once got a fungal pop which spawned a big stack of locusts, then I captured the stack of locusts.
          Interesting, Blake. How was the capture accomplished? I was surprised to be able to do this with a spore launcher. Gives new meaning to the words "reach out and touch someone". Glad to know it wasn't an isolated incident.

Incidentally, has anyone ever captured a Fungal Tower? Is it impossible to do so?

Comment

I've never seen locusts come out of pods, but spore launchers definitely have some chance of capturing other native lifeforms, including locusts. I think the probability is lower than when using mindworms.

Unfortunately, unless you go around grazing fields of fungus (gaians/cultists will do this throughout the game to gather energy), you are unlikely to see it very often.

I've even seen the fabled capturing of fungal towers a few times, though only when they are included in stacks. They aren't controllable, and next turn they revert to native, even if you still have worms on the same square!

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for the information!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthSwordsman
                SMACX. Locusts and spore launchers only appear in smacx. Otherwise you get the garden variety of mindworms.
                Just for the record, Locusts (and IODs) are entirely present in SMAC.

Comment

Groan. It's been so long since I've played SMAC alone that I'd forgotten about that. I tend to play using the SMAX game. Thanks for the correction. :-/.

Comment

i've played the smax demo and it seems to me that fungal towers are just pointless hunks of native life that just get in your way. is that actually what they are, or do they serve some other purpose.

Comment

Tkg

Thats a pretty accurate description of them but they also cause more native life to be spawned in the area. Around a tower is not a bad spot for the Cult, Dee or anyone with empath to hang out. The towers are hard to kill but can be weakened by reducing the area of fungus around them.

Comment

I've captured a massive stack of Locusts once from a fungal ED pop - captured about eleven of them right next to Morgan Industries, then use them to kick Morgan's energy-loving butt! Teach him to despoil Planet!

Fungal towers are irritating, but I find they introduce a nice aspect - the actual generation of native life. For example, if you're running Green & Cybernetic & have the Manifold Nexus, plant fungus all around a tower and harvest the upcoming native life by capture! Trust me, it works!
                        "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

I agree with SMAC Fanatic.

When running Green, or even with a very experienced military; think fungal towers are like cash in the bank. They generate more native life for you to capture or kill($). And you can't have too much energy lying around or you'll get hit with a crash. So when you have an urgent need for credits you can always kill the towers. You won't see as many natives thereafter, but it beats selling off a base improvement.

Comment

I've captured all the natives, except towers, and they're impossible to capture. Locusts, launchers. I captured Sealurk once, as Svensgaard. And, tried dozens of times to capture a a tower, failed, even with +5 Planet, in scenario editor.
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I think they say that you cannot capture a Tower in the manual...could be wrong though.

Comment

Working...
                              X