Mind Worms and Automated colonies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mind Worms and Automated colonies

Mid to late game when my empire is getting large,or just plain complicated i prefer to only mirco manage my oldest/most built cities and combat units and like to leave all my border and backwater colonies to their own devices.

Unfortunatley those colonies seem to have a serious fixation on mind worms and IOD's and will build nothing but them and then garrison them in the cities never moving them out,even when an enemy unit is within site. What are some of the govenor settings other people use? and what class are mindworms? i think their land defense but im not sure. How can i make my automated colonies smarter? Does anyone ever use air bases? =o

couldnt resist that last one does anyone every really build air bases and actually use them?

I never turn over bases to their Governors. Too many bad decisions. Running out of room in the Punishment Spheres with all those failed Governors . . .

Rather than auto, which is sure to give you lots of things you don't need (like spending 15 turns to build a hatchling IoD), have them build rover formers (or clean rover formers), or supply crawlers. You can either use them to boost up local production, or send them to your main bases or SSC. Or set one base to an SP and use nearby backwater bases feed it with crawlers. Not something critical like the HSA, mind you, but a could-use kind of SP. Like the Pholus Mutagen or the +2 support one. If it falls into enemy hands for a while it won't kill you, or send your faction into disorder, or hugely benefit the enemy. But it won't tie up mainline production of the Nano Factory or Cloudbase Academy.

I remember building airbases in my first few games (Civ2 holdover) but have never needed them for anything for the last couple of years. If suppose if you're defending a remote energy park they could be useful for your airpower, but it would be better to just build a base nearby. Maybe if probe harassment was a concern . . .

Comment

Re: Mind Worms and Automated colonies

Originally posted by Vytae

Unfortunatley those colonies seem to have a serious fixation on mind worms and IOD's and will build nothing but them and then garrison them in the cities never moving them out,even when an enemy unit is within site
      Maybe I've got this one wrong (I never use governor settings) but surely the only person who can control your troops is YOU. The governor only decides what is to be built and how the base is run, how the units stationed within your base are used is up to you.

Comment

Not so Robby Boy,when you put on "automate all units built here" the governor will send out and attack/harass with combat units it builds (untill mindworms are available anyhow) atleast it does for units other than lifeforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Vytae
          Not so Robby Boy,when you put on "automate all units built here" the governor will send out and attack/harass with combat units it builds (untill mindworms are available anyhow) atleast it does for units other than lifeforms.
          Hmmm, I never use Governors but this sort of automation is something I'd never do. We've all seen how dumb the AI is when controlling its troops. Don't want to give it the chance with mine.

Comment

I never use auto guv myself but I seem to recall that you can control your bases' production somewhat by either the govenor preferences settings or by deleting the units you don't want build right out of your design workshop.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFred
              I never use auto guv myself but I seem to recall that you can control your bases' production somewhat by either the govenor preferences settings or by deleting the units you don't want build right out of your design workshop.
              That's a good point but it won't solve the proclivity for governors to build native life. Those can't be obsoleted out of the list, can they?

[typos edited, finally]
              Last edited by Earwicker; July 13, 2001, 08:59.

Comment

i obsoleted my worms off the list. then i couldn't train them anymore after that, until i changed to green and captured another one.

i wonder if anyone else has had the same experience.
                Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly.
                Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
                "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

Comment

How the hell did you obsolete one off your list? They aren't in the Design Workshop, and when you right click on them the obselete option doesn't appear.

Mindworms are Explore. Set your govorners to Build/Conquer, and they will make more facilities and conventional units. Also, try turning off contruct naval units, and contruct air units. If you really want to, just contruct a garrison former manually, then turn off the ability to build any units. And never turn on the 'automate unit after construction command'. That way, if you don't like what it built, you can go into the base when the unit appears, change the priority to change what it is producing, and disband those pesky mindworms for half their minerals back.

Personally, I occassionally follow your strat. You just have to tweak the AI gov a bit.
                  Fitz. (n.) Old English
                  1. Child born out of wedlock.
                  2. Bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by Fitz
                    ...and disband those pesky mindworms for half their minerals back...
                    NO FAIR!!!

I don't get anything for disbanding my natives.

Comment

Question: Why exactly are you against the production of mindworms? Unless you are the Morganites or Domai, they are a pretty useful unit in my opinion. Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by death_head
                        Question: Why exactly are you against the production of mindworms? Unless you are the Morganites or Domai, they are a pretty useful unit in my opinion. Just wondering.
                        In these situations, I don't think they give the bang-for-the-buck, mineral-wise, that an ordinary military unit would give. They are limited in that they can't be upgraded to something more powerful later in the game. For a green faction, go capture some. If running FM they aren't nearly as effective. The Governor doesn't seem to remember that your FM economy is creating a -30% attack on these expensive units it's building.

Also, native life are most effective in upper life cycles. A base on Governor probably won't have the bio lab, centauri preserve, brood pit, etc. that it takes to make these units as tough as possible. Don't get me wrong: I love mindworms, but I usually am the Gaians or Cult. I can get the freebies. I build the Xeno Dome and Pholus Mutagen and can build boils at a minimum. And if the base is next to a monolith (or a fungus field, or The Ruins), then by all means set it yourself to produce lots of worms. But even a green 1-4-1 garrison is going to hold up to attack better than a hatchling MW.

Comment

I guess I was forgetting about the 3-2 advantage the attacker has in psi combat...makes all the difference in the world. I agree that if possible, it's better to capture some worms instead, but I am not a big fan of Deidre or the Cult, so I'll stick with building.

Comment

Morgan

90% of the time im the Morganites =o i am a total builder and i like creating neat,orderly aesthetic and severaly functional and efficent empires. Fungus blooms intterupt that,mindworms come when Fungus blooms do,intterupting my order. Its a knee jerk reaction,i cant stand mindworms or any native unit not to mention when running Fm they suck =o

After putting so much time and mircomanagment into a boreholecluster i go nuts when a bloom pops up in the middle.

Comment

Green is a more natural SE for Morgan than practically anyone else. You can still get the highly-prized +2 economy (+1 energy per worked tile) with Wealth added in. FM is slightly better for your economy but the PIA is much higher, especially if a vendetta or three are in progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X