Probe Infiltration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probe Infiltration

Is there a way to detect if you have been infiltrated by another faction in a MP game, let alone a SP game. The game doesn't always tell you in MP if you have been probed, hence the question.

NS

The is no way to know for sure whether or not you've been infiltrated, which is the way it should be as far as I'm concerned. There are more subtle ways of trying to figure that out though. For instance, say you shift a vast amount of units to a base that borders your neighbor and in turn they too shift units around the same area of the border. It could be coincidence, but then again they might just have you infiltrated. Another example would be if your opponent carelessly rings you up and asks to trade for the tech you just discovered last turn. Again, it could be coincidence, but I would guess you've probably been infiltrated. Of course, try as you may to protect yourself someone always ends up with the Empath Guild, maybe that someone could be you.

Comment

My advice is to play like everybody can read your datalinks. That way you can spend less time worrying about infiltration and more time concentrating on grinding them to a pulp

Comment

Then what about what you see when you are communicating with other factions? The two boxes on the bottom that display some information have a line that says "infiltration: active" or "infiltration: inactive". Does this mean that they have probed you, or are generally active in covert ops? It has been said by someone that you can indirectly sense it, but there must be a way of direct proof. I know the Empath Guild gives auto infiltration into every faction.... but there must be a way of hiding activities from others. Any thoughts?

Comment

Sure there is. Keep units hidden in fungus out of your bases radius (otherwise I think they'll pop up in the base screen). Put units in a bunker, with infiltration you can never tell how many units are actually in the bunker, or fungus for that matter. The same goes for airbases with needlejets.

As far as what tech your researching or have researched, what units your building or what units you actually have somewhere on the board, those you can't hide if you've already been probed.

My advice is to just be careful and build probes to act as defenders against other probes, especially in your coastal bases as I'm certain someone will have a probe foil stalking your coast.

Edit -- I believe that box in the diplomatic screen you are refering to tells you whether or not you've infiltrated the faction your communicating with. In MP a different screen appears when communicating with human controled factions.
          Last edited by WhiteElephants; July 5, 2001, 21:29.

Comment

Thanks, W.E. That's given me some thoughts.

Hay, I noticed you only live about 30 or so miles from me. :-). Great to see someone from my area on here. :-). LOLOLOL!

Comment

Working...
            X