Your thoughts, please....:)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your thoughts, please....:)

Been contemplating what to work on next, and I'm a bit undecided, so I figured I'd ask you guys.

I'm feeling a surge of creative energy these days, and both of the projects I've got in my head sound like fun, but depending on the answers here, I'll channel that energy this way or that.

The first thing I was thinking is to finally complete the "City of Hope" story in the SMAC fiction forum. Something I've been meaning to get back to for quite some time now. The problem is that, since the story was envisioned prior to SMAX being released, my "version" of the history of those who created the opening situation on Chiron differs dramatically from that which is portrayed in the game.

The second thing in my head is a re-vamping of the splinter factions, along with a story involving the faction leaders.

Whatcha think?

Ahhh, and on a totally unrelated note, while I'm asking for assistance in general, I've made a number of changes to my website lately in preparation for what I hope is a huge surge in regulars calling the place home. When you guys get a moment, if you could duck in and have a look around, I'd much appreciate any comments and/or feedback on the place. In particular, I'm not sure which "'net radio" option to go with (see the "latest experiments" link on my site). There's a mini-poll on that page for voting, and I'd really appreciate any insights and opinions you guys could give.

Coming soon to the site will be an expanded Sci-Fi area in the forums (where I'll be posting some more SMAC fiction as soon as I can scrape together some time for it), and a gallery section, which will feature the published works of the three--and hopefully soon to be many more--published authors who hang out on the site more-or-less regularly.

Thanks guys....

-=Vel=-
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Get a new game, and get into it. Try Age of Empires II, Starcraft, or Homeworld. Yes...RTS is okay.

BTWo you have room for fantasy writing on your site? I have nae been there.
    It hurts to be on the cutting edge!

Comment

Oh, I play RTS....I'm just not very good at them...lol

And you know, no one had ever asked for a Fantasy section until you mentioned it just now. I duly added it, so c'mon by....you'll have a monopoly....

-=Vel=-
      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Well, my vote would be for you to finish the City of Hope. Lord knows I’d love to read it. I wouldn’t worry about conflicting with SMAX. Frankly, as far as I can tell, the SMAC storyline conflicts with SMAX. So I’ve always treated SMAX as taking place in an alternate universe from SMAC. So I know I wouldn’t have any problem with fan fiction from SMAC conflicting with SMAX.

A story involving the new faction leaders would be cool too. (I don’t dislike the SMAX universe, I just can’t reconcile it with the SMAC universe) I’m not sure what you mean by re-vamping the splinter factions. If you do it, I’m sure I’ll play around with it, but I confess I look forward to the stories more. I love a good story…
        "She climbed backwards out her
        window into Outside Over There."

Comment

Hello Vel,

First off, I'd like to thank you for all the great things that you have done to enhance this game. I especially appreciate the Guide, not only because of the valuable tips, but also because it shows me the depth and creativity that can be employed to win the game. In other words, it really got me thinking... I liked it so much, I risked printing it out here at work (I did print it two-sided, at least I saved some paper). Thanks again!

Second, I can't seem to be able to get to your webpage... I keep getting a message from Angelfire that the page cannot be found. Like I said earlier, I am at work while surfing, so maybe it has something to do with the company firewall. That just wouldn't make sense to me, though. Anyway, I was wondering if you had any other complaints about not being able to see your page?

Comment

LodeRunner:

I had the same problem in my old company getting to my own website, which was bravenet hosted.

You could try Vel's shortform URL and see if that works:

clik.to is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, clik.to has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

(occasionally at work that used to bypass my company's firewall)

Good luck,

G.

Comment

Thanks googlie. Unfortunetely, no luck. I remember this happening a month or two ago when I was looking to d/l the Guide. I did a search on the angelfire web site for velociryx and was able to see a page or two. That was hit and miss, though. Reloading one of those pages often took me back to the page not found message. Anyway, thanks again. I will have to cut into my SMACX playing time and deal with a slow modem at home... It's so nice with a T1 here at work.

Comment

Go to underdogs and download some fun old addictive games.

Ancient art of War at Sea is great fun.
                My brand new sig, written by Mr MarkG. (he didn't like the one about Ming being a goofy toofy.

"ok, fine.
                from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
                --MarkG

and by MikeH
                she's only illegal because of your ridiculous age of consent ages.

Comment

Ah, yes...what a great old game. That and Civ were my first strat games, at five years of age.
                  It hurts to be on the cutting edge!

Comment

LodeRunner, thank YOU....I never set out to do more than make a minor contribution or two to the forums here....guess I got a little carried away....

-=Vel=-

PS - Absolutely! If you've not discovered http://www.theunderdogs.org then you're missingn out on a vast treasure trove of classic games! Highly recommended site!

Comment

My humble vote would be to read more about the splinter factions. Especially in regards to Honshu and Ashandi.
                      Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Vel, go play Shadowmere You won't ever have to worry about what to do with your free time again, because you won't have any.
                        Fitz. (n.) Old English
                        1. Child born out of wedlock.
                        2. Bastard.

Comment

Working...
                        X