Multiplayer etiquette question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplayer etiquette question.

I know it's a cheat to base trade with the AI in a MP game but are you still allowed to gift bases to the AI players?

I can't say offhand whether the Apolyton default set of pbem rules allows for some flexibility on the issue.
    For instance, at ACOL we usually deny too the possibility of base trades with the AI, but the players of each pbem are free to agree on a different, custom setting.

The reason of the restriction is that the AI engine is such a moron when it comes to base *trades*, and it would be too easy to exploit it, biasing the balance (?) of the game.

AFAIK nothing was ever ruled about "gifting" bases to the AI, or even extorting bases from them with threats.
    I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

I do agree that trading base for base, the AI is clueless...it seems to only take into account the standing between the two factions - not the bases themselves - but does that mean i cant' pay them for a base also ? The AI seems to be more in touch with this method at least.
      I'm all for extortion in MP - whoever spots Morgan first can usually bully him for his lunch money as well as one of his bases . I've found it's harder to extort more than one base as it puts the AI "on it's guard" after you take the first one - it's as if you've already been at war with them - if they you catch in military tech and build up they'll even come calling looking for their base back
      Every positive value has it's price in negative terms - the genius of Einstein leads to Hiroshima.
      ---Pablo Picasso.

Comment

It seems to be an accepted "fact" that the AI will reverse the valuation of the bases and would therefore refuse your offer of a 3 SP size 10 base for its size one but would accept the reverse. People believe that a negative sign got missed or something.It appears to be an obvious bug.

As for gifting bases I see no problem with this and am aware of no rule against it. The question is likely directly related to my MP game with Qtip in AXT 041. I see no unfairness or bug in giving away a base for nothing to the AI. The concept actually has a lot of diplomatic implications if you can throw another faction in the path of the invader. (Now-- hmmmm, to which faction would he give it ?)

Comment

Hi I'm new here This is my first time posting and I only recently got Alpha Centauri about a month ago. I managed to beat the single player game on Transcend with a lot of help (and a few reloads) from Vel's strat guide and the people who've posted lots of helpful info here and now I feel somewhat ready to move onto MP. Could someone point me to the way of where the PBEM rules are and what's considered a cheat in those type of games and what's considered rude and stuff?

Comment

Actual rules vary between games since there are sometimes different interpretations on how to handle game bugs. Reloads are always a no-no though.

Here is what Tau Ceti provides upon joining the Apolyton tournament

----------------------------------------------------

If you are new to this tournament, please read our rules here:

If you are new to PBEM in general, a quick overview of the procedure
            can be found here:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are just an example and there are lots of players who play differently. You will note that some of the rules involve the quirks of Multiplayer diplomacy but and some known bugs in the game. Essentially it is not a "cheat" as long as all players are aware of the ruling on the feature of the game. Actually if you look at most of the "non-tournaent" games in the Multiplayer part of the Forum you will usually see discussions on the rules to be used.

If you are uncertain of a certain behavior it is usually easy enough to ask in this forum. Etiquette usually requires that you notify others if you cannot play for an extended period (48 hours or more). AS for rudeness-- its simple-- don't be rude. If in doubt err on the side of politeness. The AC part of the board has seemed to be incredibly civil. There is some in-game and in-character trash talk between warring factions in the MP threads but its all part of a bit of role-playing. The more heated discussions and rudeness are usually over in "Off-Topic" but that forum is actually relatively polite as well. The mods will not tolerate BS.

Actually my advice would be to take a look at the threads in the multiplayer section and scan through them. A quick look would indicate a lot about the tone and the rules requirements. Then to start

1.just chime in on some game that is starting there
            2. Find and post to the tournament set-up thread
            3 Or Post your message to start your own game on your preferred settings and with your preferred rules

Best of luck and have fun with it.
            Last edited by cbn; June 11, 2001, 14:03.

Comment

Working...
            X