No announcement yet.

Favourite Faction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Previous to the release of SMACX, I liked most of the factions. I tended to play the University and Hive the most. (Then Gaians and PK... then Morgan, Spartans, and Believers at last... Spartan and Believers were just TOO easy to win with. Morgan was down the list being so dependant on a GOOD start position to be able to have a real shot at the game, with MY play style.)

After SMACX, Pirates, hands down is my favorite. They are less dependant on start position then any other factions. All they need is a bit of water, and getting the Weather project, and then all the world's an ocean. I find the Pirates make the best "Morgan" faction, actually, although they lend themselves to most play styles nicely.

Most worthless faction? Pink panzies. They are worse then Morgan about needing a good start location. They are just sad.
    -Darkstar
    (Knight Errant Of Spam)

Comment

Originally posted by cbn
      Interesting that the original Smac group got 78% of the vote. I wonder if all the voters have Smax as well. I would still expect the originals to do well but are there really only 20% of the players out there that prefer the new guys.
      Well, the 6 of the originals (all save Yang) are archetypes of people you could meet on the street; most Westerners would be sympathetic to at least some. The SMAX 7 include two aliens, and all the humans would seem a little, well, (odd) if you ran into them. The SMAX 7 are just harder to identify with.

Comment

I believe Booger used to work as a nurse at the army camp where I served.
        -bondetamp
        The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
        -H. L. Mencken

Comment

in the demo it seems to me that the pirates would have some trouble with minerals seeing as how they can't build boreholes in the ocean.

Comment

My favorite faction is the Data Angels, because they are so flexible.

They have no major disadvantages, and have a few fun advantages (inexpensive mind control can be very useful). They can build well, they can go to war, they can steal tech/units/bases. Plus, nobody is "cooler" than Roze !
            "Don't Panic!" - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Comment

On transcend alone, or any level with a partner, it's gotta be the drones. 2x the size without drone problems make them as good as the PKs early, with a great industry kick. More formers and CPs quicker. They can do all the important SE choices. They rock.

Alone on thinker and below, the UoP does rock, though.
              Team 'Poly

Comment

My favorite is the Drones for their industrial power. My second choice would be Peacekeepers and my third choice would be the University.

Jonny

Comment

Consciousness. Nuff zed.
                  "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Provost Harrison wrote:
                    ..., although you really need to snatch that VW to keep the drones at bay!
                    Ah, yes, I remember those days well ! Nothing beat snatching the old VW and droning on down to the bay !
                    Last edited by gwillybj; May 5, 2002, 19:33.
                    I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

I like the Data Angels all the way.
                      Here's my reasoning:

Minuses: -1 POLICE, big deal, that just means they can't nerve staple, they can still use a unit for police
                      Aversion POWER, again, who cares? Power really sucks (unless you get Cloning Vats) because of the -2 INDSTRY.

Pluses: +2 Probe and Free Covert Ops Center at the discovery of P-SA, this is awesome, because #1, your probe teams start out as elite, giving them an extra movement, and if you armor them, a big possibility of surviving a battle, and also, they have a huge chance of success, #2, if you aren't running knowledge, then your bases are immune to subversion, #3, Covert Ops Centers normally cost 2 maintenance. They also start with a probe team in the beginning! Having two starting techs is always nice. Having the built in Planetary Datalinks is great too.
                      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." -- Commisioner Pravin Lal, U.N. Declaration of Rights
                      "A ship at sea is its own world. To be captain of that ship is to be the sole and absolute ruler of that world." -- Colonel Corozan Santiago

Comment

Bump for the morgans. The extra money beats out extra nodes any day.
                        My brand new sig, written by Mr MarkG. (he didn't like the one about Ming being a goofy toofy.

"ok, fine.
                        from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
                        --MarkG

and by MikeH
                        she's only illegal because of your ridiculous age of consent ages.

Comment

I can't take this poll actually, because I played all the smac factions several times in a lot of pbems in the last two years (aside: we're talking about multiplyayer here, isn't it? because of course single_player is not worth spending a single_word on), and I almost always got the feeling that I was enjoying that faction I was playing with, even to the point that I slightly preferred it over the others, just to change opinion when I took on the next pbem from ny mailbox 10 minutes later.
                          That's why I usually prefer to be the last player to pick a faction in a pbem setup phase, I wouldn't know what I like...

Anyway, I can give you ratings instead of picking a favorite.

Gaia: 9
                          Hive: 9
                          Univ: 8.5
                          Morgan: 9
                          Sparta: 7
                          Believers: 8.5
                          PK: 9

I just played the SMAX factions once or twice in single players when I bought it, so I can't express an opinion there. NONE of them above 6 anyway at first impression.
                          I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

67 votes, either that is the total number of SMAC/X players here at Apolyton or the number of people willing to vote.
                            It's close to midnight and something evil's is lurking in the dark.

Comment

Pirates forever. There mineral problem isn't that bad because of the bonuses they get from shelf squares. Plus, the ability to build in ocean squares is awesome later on.
                              "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                              "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                              "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

I like playing the Believers for one reason- They rock as attackers! Not many factions can stand up to them in the early game. Around mid to late game, they are a real challenge to play. Their lack of tech makes you work harder, as opposed to an easy tech game with the University (not bashing them.. just stating a fact about tech!). I enjoy a challenge...and the believers make for a challenge.

Comment

Working...
                                X