Making airpower as effective as artillery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making airpower as effective as artillery

Is it possible to change the game around a bit so that air attacks count as artillery attacks?

-Alex
    "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

I don't see how. But then again, I'm not the greatest expert in alpha.txt changes... Maybe you could find a way to grant the artillery to air chassis

Aredhran

Comment

That shouldn't be a problem, but... I want to make it mandetory(sp?) for all planes.

-Alex
      "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

Comment

If you're using SMAX, you can try this:
        • As I mentioned before, edit the chassis to allow artillery ability on them
        • Edit each faction file to include the FREEABIL bonus

You might want to check the alphax.txt file and for example the pirates.txt file for details, or ::shudder:: use the infamous facedit.

Good luck
        Aredhran

Comment

Sonds like a good plan

What exactly does the free ability thing do again? I never plat facs with that one Will the AI just automaticly include it or does it have to? (or will it be semi-random?)

-Alex

Comment

As the name implies, it gives a free ability to a unit (duh) - once you have discovered the required tech. The reason I told you to look at the Pirates, is that they have the Marine Detachment to every unit.

Aredhran

Comment

Won't that also force artillery onto every unit - or still allow needlejets to remove the ability if wanted?
              The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
              Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
              All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
              "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Good point Chowlett. Quite frankly, I've never tried this I was just theorizing Come to think of it, I don't think the FREEABIL is chassis-specific, so it's quite likely that all units will end up being Arty.

Oh well
                Aredhran

Comment

Not a good thing - I absolutely hate using artillery! I think they're worse than useless - I'm always careful to instantly retire any artillery units from service.
                  I just don't use arty in SP. I hate it. I also absolutely detest spore launchers - especially when they sit just offshore in their IoDs bombarding away all my terrain improvements!
                  Grrrr...
                  "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

The point is I want to make air-power _less_ usefull. And I also feel it is more 'realistic' that air-units not be able to destroy other units... Would designing premade units and disabeling the needle jet work?

-Alex

Comment

I see your point, those laser guided Tomahawk missles in The Gulf War were largely ineffective.

This ain't the 1920's, this is the new millenium baby!

[This message has been edited by WhiteElephants (edited May 20, 2001).]

Comment

That may be so, but it's still rather hard to completely vipe out a military formation from the air. I feel air-power in SMAC is a bit unbalanced. Making it behave like arty is in IMHO no the most un-realistic way of curbing it. In the gulf the USMC still had to mop up on the ground. It's not hard to kill units that have only 10% left

-Alex

Comment

Air units too powerful ? Have you seen the chopper unit in action -9+ attacks in one turn - now there's a unit that needs some serious downgrading...
                          Every positive value has it's price in negative terms - the genius of Einstein leads to Hiroshima.
                          ---Pablo Picasso.

Comment

I consider Choppers to be air units

Comment

No ideas huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X