Comparison of Deadlock and SMAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparison of Deadlock and SMAC

Many people seem not be aware of a very SMAC-like game that came out in 1996 and its sequel that came out in 1998. Their are many parallels with SMAC, and in fact I consider SMAC to be a hybrid of Deadlock and Civ2. This comes up again because MANY of the things that people are suggesting for SMAC2 are present in Deadlock, especially the military options. Althout Deadlock II had more advanced graphics and added new techs and inits, the original Deadlock had a more playable demo, which you can download from this link:
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...197068,00.html

Do yourselves a favor. Download the free demo and play the game. Now report back here and tell me if you think SMAC would be imporved if they grafted on the military model and resource management from this game series.

There are 7 species which correspond with eerie similarity to the original 7 SMAC factions. Here is a key for the SMAC player:

Green faction = Gaians = Uva Mosk
    Insectoid faction = Hive = Ch'Chit
    Research faction = University = Maug
    Money and commerce faction = Morgan = Humans
    Military faction = Spartans = Tarth
    Mind control faction = Believers = Relu
    High morale (easy drone control) faction easy for beginners = PK's = Cyth

There is an 8th faction (The Skirineen) that runs the Black Market, but you can't play as them.
    Creator of the Ultimate Builder Map, based on the Huge Map of Planet, available at The Chironian Guild:
    http://guild.ask-klan.net.pl/eng/index.html

Hey, what are you doing here? I told you to go download the Deadlock Demo and play it! Do I have to come over there? Now get going!

------------------
    Creator of the Ultimate Builder Map, based on the Huge Map of Planet, available at The Chironian Guild:

Comment

Hey 'Dad love your Ultimate Builder Map!

And I'll check out the Deadlock demo. Wouldn't want you to take away my allowance

Cheers!

Comment

I've been playing the demo. This looks like a very cool game. It has a few things I like better than SMAC. I like the "simcity" type city screen where you place the city improvements on the "city radius" and see little cars and your workers. I also really like the "provinces" model and the "battle screen".
        SMAC however is a lot more complex and sophisticated. Deadlock goes for simple. Overall, I prefer the complexity of SMAC. But Deadlock is very cool!

------------------
        No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
        'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
        G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Keep in mind, of course, that this was all BEFORE smac. . . Or so I think?
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

Deadlock isn't that great.

When the fun is about to begin the game is over(and I mean the FULL version).

Deadlock is much limited in its combat strats too(almost non-existant)

I did enjoy Deadlock - for 3 days, that is. After finishing it 5 times (yes, in 3 days) you get sooooooo bored...

If you want to give SMAC a time, go for CIV don't waste time on Deadlock...

The insults on the diplomacy screen are cool, though, but inutile. It serves only as an excuse for the game having no diplomacy options at all.

------------------
            -----
            Long live THE HIVE!
            -----
            Long live THE HIVE!

Comment

Working...
            X