Earth Map?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth Map?

It is just a simple question to CMNs and other people who invest their time to make maps:

Has anyone got earth map?

I expect some of you have & then the further questions follow:

1.How big?
    2.How precise? (map accuracy, resources, fungus = yes/no, etc.)
    3.basis (SMAC, SMAX, versions)
    4. ..what else you can say about it?
    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Check out my signature.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Check the sig from Maniac. He has an our earthmap attached there. Size is about, IIRC 44 x 90 (plusminus 2 tiles), I consider it highly accurate for rivers, reliëf and scale. it is constructed as a SMAX map. Naturally almost nothing about landmarks is present. Just some geothermal, uranium and quite some monsoon and dune landscape.

The only drawback IMO is that Southern Europe and Baha California didn't work out too well, to narrow details in those parts of the world.

Maniac took care of fungus/resources, and those are easily replaced.
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Checked this - quite realistic, but maybe someone has this bigger (great or huge)?
        -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
        -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin
          Checked this - quite realistic, but maybe someone has this bigger (great or huge)?
          There is a bigger (huge?) Earth map somewhere, but IMHO it's not that good. The form of the continents is pretty ok, but IIRC there's hardly any relief, rivers, special resources etc...
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

I played an earth map once, didn't care for it.

But I have a question. Is there a way to turn off fungus production? Esp. fungus tied to events in the game (building voice of planet etc.). Fungus kind of kills the illusion of an earth map

Comment

You can disable alien life (fungus, mindworms, planet, etc) thru the Scenario Rules in the Scenario Editor

And you can get a big EarthMap here It's one I found on someone's site (I forget who) and I've used it for some Earth scenarios I've set up for PBEMs and challenges

Comment

Question : If you're setting up a game on an Earthmap, where would you place the factions?

You need 7 locations which are fairly spaced and with fair amounts of terrain.

I'm thinking one faction starting in each of :

Seattle
                Rio de Janiero
                Amsterdam
                Capetown
                Kuwait
                Vladivosktok
                Singapore

Comments on fairness?

-Jam
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

If you start a game on the earthmap, then immediately hit scenario editor you'll see how the game mechanics evaluates start positions. It always seems to like putting a faction in Australia, as well as adjacent to Lake Bakal in central Asia. And Lisbon seems a popular place for the AI generated start placements too.

Comment

Yeah, I thought about Austrailia, but I don't think its fair.

If I were to ask you, Googlie, to set up a PBEM on EarthMap, where would you start the factions?

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Googlie, the zip file on your site appears to be empty.
                      It -is- the Earthmap link I click on, right?

Comment

cool, didn't realize you could disable fungus.

You would think I would have spotted that. I remember at one time I was trying to make some futuristic earth scenario. Although I admit, I'm not the best scenario designer.

Now I know what map my next game will be played on.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
                          Googlie, the zip file on your site appears to be empty.
                          It -is- the Earthmap link I click on, right?
                          E_N - it still works. But I uploaded it on to 'Poly anyway here

Comment

Working...
                          X