SMAC on a laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAC on a laptop?

While I'm waiting for EA to mail me the manual I sent them $5 for, I thought I would ask this question.

I am thinking about getting a laptop computer. Do any of you play SMAC on a laptop? Are the images big enough to see?

I want to get a Dell with a 15 inch screen and hopefully a good graphics card. But I know I have heard that some games just don't fare well on a laptop. Is SMAC one of those?

Any thoughts?

sboog

yeah, i play on my laptop all the time. Be sure to turn off all the movies, or you'll drain your battery in no time. I would also highly recommend that you either play SMAC v4, or download the NOCD hack. The CD accessing will kill your battery otherwise. On some machines, it will still run slowly, turning off unit animations helps a lot!

SMAC is a great game to play on long-flights. I find MUCH more amusing and stimulating than going over work documents, or filling out my T&E (time and expense for those of you fortunate enough to not know...)

-Happy Mobile SMACing!

Comment

I've played quite a bit of SMAC/X on a laptop, mostly while out of town on business trips. Mine was a Dell PII 400 with a 14 inch screen, and it looked fine, even with an older, not very good graphics chip.

The visibility was fine, no different than my desktop, and the game ran well also. So you should be fine, especially with a larger screen and newer hardware.
      "That which does not kill me, makes me stronger." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
      "That which does not kill me, missed." -- Anonymous war gamer
      "I fear that we have awakened a sleeping giant and instilled in it a terrible resolve." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Comment

Working...
      X