What are them pluses ++ ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are them pluses ++ ?

I know they relate to your morale when I a base with a creche, but what is the full story on those things?
    "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
    "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
    "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

I know they go into negatives, such as going FM with Morgan.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

When you fight, any kind of combat, they affect the power. Look in the manuel under morale.... It goes from Very Green to Elite... dunno how many pluses for ranking... anyways, if you look during combat, it will say Elite
      +50%

or something like that... It seriously helps to have trained soldiers... however, if you run negative morale stuff like wealth, it would be
      Elite
      +25%

I think...

Comment

What he's referring to is something like the morale of a unit being something like
        Morale: Green(++)

How would this be different from just
        Morale: Green
        or
        Morale: Green(--).

It's something I've wondered as well. As far as I can tell, it's how far morale has been modified from normal. So a Hardened unit under wealth maybe becomes Green(--), or in other words "this unit is green, which is two levels lower than it would be without modifiers." Anyone know for sure?

Comment

Actually, Green(++) == "This unit is Green, but when it fights it's as good as a Hardened troop". IIRC you will see something like Green(++): +12% when confirming odds.

Comment

They are morale Modifiers given to units due to base or base improvements.

Datalinks says:

A Unit with a "+" sign after its morale possesses a combat bonus from its location in a base with a Children's Creche

Note, too, that a unit defending in the HQ base gets an additional "+"

Creches also cancel out the negative Morale effects of SE choices

Thus running Wealth, as Morgan, carries with it a -2 Morale penalty (halves the "+" effect)

So without a Creche in your HQ, no HQ "+" appears (HQ gives one "+", negative morale halves it, rounded down to zero) With a creche, negatives are eliminated, and there is an extra "+", so you will see something like "Disciplined (++)" for the unit

But there are some unexplained occurrences:

in a current game (as Morgan):

I have a unit in a seabase - not my HQ and no creche - that has a "+" rating - and it isn't a prototype

My HQ units are working as advertised ("++") with a creche

in 2 bases without creches I have 1 of their 2 units with a "+" (I built them in my HQ, moved them there then transferred control)

Morgan Robotics has a creche, and both defenders are "++" (and both were sourced from the HQ and control transferred) ............ but

I popped a pod that gave a Unity Chopper, homed to Robotics - that too has a "++" rating

So I thought I knew the answer (HQ and Creche), but now I'm not too sure ..................

G.

Comment

I've seen the following effects relating to +s and -s:

Units homed in a base in drone riots receive a -. I'm not sure if this affects its attack power, though it wouldn't be too hard to find out...

Very green units get a +.

Units defending in a base with a children's creche get a +, plus as many +s as negative morale levels units get from the current SE settings. This can push a unit beyond elite -- with -4 morale I had elite units defending as elite (++++) for +100% from morale! I'm not certain exactly how creches work with positive morale, since I never have it.

Soporific gas causes no +s or -s to appear, but has the same effect as (--) for the defender.
              Last edited by Chaos Theory; April 27, 2004, 19:53.
              "Cutlery confused Stalin"
              -BBC news

Comment

each + confers a +12% combat bonus

eacj - confers a -12% combat penalty
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

for googlie's case, I need to know the moral of the unit and the social setting. One scenario is that you have -2 Morale hence you suffer -1, but creche counters that with a +, and and creche adds another one. But I can be very wrong. ack
                  Promoter of Public Morale
                  Alpha Centauri Democracy Game

Comment

Working...
                  X