Map of Planet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map of Planet

I was playing a game on this the other day (the standard size one). I seem to do worse on the map of planet or the huge map of planet.

Why is that? I have't looked at the resources carefully, but I think random maps have more bonus resource squares.

I usually play on custom random maps. I do the best on those.

So what do you play on?

anyone have more comments on map of planet? I just don't like it.

In civ2 I used to almost always play on earth map. And then when SMAC came out, I never used the premade maps. And Civ3 I never play the earth map either. So you could say smac got me in the habit of using random maps.
    Map of Planet
    6.45%
    Huge map of Planet
    35.48%
    random map
    6.45%
    customized random map.
    51.61%

I usually play on Map of Planet.

But most of the time I land on the Western Continent by the freshwater lake. So I'll sometimes switch off to random map.
    Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
    *****Citizen of the Hive****
    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

I have yet to play on the Map of Planet. Recently, at least. I may have tried it when SMAC first came out.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I find that the Map of Planet is far more realistic looking then Randomly generated maps which are realy just made by some stupid fractal method which dosent even take map size into account. Thus if you use a small you get 1 continent and if you use a large map you can get an archpelago.

I once had an idea for a map generator based on plate tectonics, a grip of tiles would be randomly seeded with points, cut up into "plates" which would then be given random vectors, as 2 plates move together they "pile up" and incresse in altitude. In the voids created you generate ocean. Then you aply some erosion and repeat with new seeds and new plates. It was going to get incorporated into a SMAC inspired "FreeAC" aka Stela Polaris but that project disbanded quite some time ago. The simple versions that did get made though looked very promising and worked with any size of map. I hope someday to perfect this tecnique and see it incorporated into a real game.
        Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

The map of Planet contains less bonuses and also is ALWAYS with abundant native life.

That's why it seems harder.

-Jam
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's 'average' native life, because I don't get +25% on my score for it.

Comment

I almost always play on the huge map of planet. The starting point seems to be related to the faction you chose, although it is slightly random. As Morganites for example, I had 4 out of five games started on the huge eastern continent, mostly near "Planet neck".

The bad thing about random maps is that you cannot influence the size of landmasses, let´s say islands vs. Gondwana. So I usually end up sealocked on a small archipelago, which really opposes my favourite style of play...

Impaler, your project sounds very promising, how did you implement that map generation algorithm? (Programming language?)
              Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
              Let me eat your yummy brain!
              "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

I usually play on a huge random map, but Im dissappointed by having a huge glob of endless land with no vast oceans for my toy boats to splash around in.
                "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

I dont know any programing (but I am trying to learn)
                  I just explained the idea to some people who did know programing, they liked it, got inspired and came up with a simple demonstration program that produced a bit map of elevation. Wish I had keept a copy
                  Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Usually on a customized map of Planet. I made a copy of it on small sized and randomize the fungus/pods in the editor before I start a game with it.

The only downside is that you usually start near freshwater sea with 2 factions very close to you. Is really testing your diplomaty skills then or you might end up skirmishing Yang or Miriam from turn 10-15 on.
                    He who knows others is wise.
                    He who knows himself is enlightened.
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I generally don't have a problem with too much land, or too small of islands.

Mess around with the ocean settings. Setting them to 70-90% (or whatever the highest setting is) should result in more archipelagos. And at the lowest setting you should have large continents.

I've been pleased with using the middle setting. Occasionally I'll use the highest ocean settings, as I don't like large continents, and like to emphasis naval combat more.

Comment

Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
                        I once had an idea for a map generator based on plate tectonics, a grip of tiles would be randomly seeded with points, cut up into "plates" which would then be given random vectors, as 2 plates move together they "pile up" and incresse in altitude. In the voids created you generate ocean. Then you aply some erosion and repeat with new seeds and new plates....
                        What a brilliant yet simple idea.

What would be even more impressive would be to be able to watch these processes in action as a prequel to the game start. Imagine watching the plates crash together and raise mountian ranges, then watch rain melt away the jagged peaks into plains below the foothills. Have it run through a little 30 second to 1 minute simulation of the forming of the planet. Some of the plates could be designated as "ocean" and would subcide into deep tenches instead of mountains.
                        "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
                        "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
                        "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
                        "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

The "Huge" Map of Planet is too small for me, so I roll my own super-sized, tweak it, and go to!
                          I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Impaler[WrG]
                            I dont know any programing (but I am trying to learn)
                            I just explained the idea to some people who did know programing, they liked it, got inspired and came up with a simple demonstration program that produced a bit map of elevation. Wish I had keept a copy
                            I like programming, Impaler. And I could work a bit on creating a map generator. There is only one thing needed - quite precise format of map files from SMAC/SMAX. Does someone has it figured out?
                            Mart
                            Map creation contest
                            WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Working...
                            X