Is using captured weapons a cheat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is using captured weapons a cheat?

I'm playing my current game as Morgan, and accidently joined my continent to the Spartans a few turns after they declared war on me. Long story short, I captured a 4-1-2 rover artillery off them before having even discovered lasers. I've been concentrating on builder techs, you see.

So to improve my military situation from having only probes to having probes and attack rovers, I set my bases to build 1-1-2 rovers and upgraded them to 4-1-2's, but still well before I have discovered the tech for them. The new rover design I made using their artillery rover's design. Is this classed as cheating?
    Yes, tis a dirty cheat!
    0.00%
    No, you can legally reverse-engineer things!
    96.43%
    Banana
    3.57%
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

No, the Spartans deserve it for letting you capture their weapons.
    "Cutlery confused Stalin"
    -BBC news

Comment

I voted no.

Think of it as you bribing the Spartans to switch sides...and they give you a prototype weapon that you can manufacture, but don't know the exact details of the weaponry yet.
      Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
      Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
      *****Citizen of the Hive****
      "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Yeah. Perfectly legitimate, and done IRL
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

It's called reverse engineering. You haven't truly understood the concept behind the design but you could copy it well enough for your needs.

Like Mister Tassadar said, it's done IRL
          Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Please, call me Comrade
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

yep reverse engineering. I have no problem with it.

Just one of the many nuances of this game. There are so many ways to play. Probing the hell out of the enemy is one of those ways.

Comment

Aye, it's perfectly fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
                  Please, call me Comrade
                  Heh I called you Mister on purpose From on now, it's Comrade.
                  Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Ok, I guess it isn't a cheat then.
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I belive that its generaly agreed that using Planetary Networking and the Probe Team protoype (which is on a rover Chassie) to obtain and start building Rovers withough having Doc modility is considered a cheat. But this is clearly a different situation which were calling reverese enginering and seems to be acceptable to most people.
                      Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Why would it be a cheat? You captured their weapon, and now you are blindly manafacturing it.
                        SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Reverse engineering is usually considered acceptable, and it's also a design feauture and not a bug.
                          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Maybe there ought to be a production penelty to constructing units you don't have the techs for. But I guess this was a possiblity that was not completely forseen.
                            It's really Synthetic God... I guess I didn't notice my own typo.

Comment

do you have to prototype them or can you just build them normally?

I can't remember, I hardly use probe teams to capture units.

Although I'm thinking of starting a game as the data angels soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X