Locking up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking up

SMAC will randomly freeze on me, usually right when I click something. There's no telling when it will happen, anytime between 5 and 50 turns apart. I have Win XP, and the patch as well. Is there anything else I can do?

If you haven't already done so, make sure you have the most recent versions of your video and sound drivers.
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

Stop right-clicking?

I know of a bug where viewing the production of crawlered tiles with solar collectors on them causes the game to crash.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Re: the bug Shanky Burns mentions...
        I think someone had said that I you clicked to look at a base first (that is, any time earlier on the same turn), it stopped the problem. I've found that works for me.

Comment

SKanky.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
            *****Citizen of the Hive****
            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Okay, sorry Skanky. I must have just read what I subconciously expected to see.

Comment

Comment

I have the exact same problem. Game just freezes randomly. I have tried all the patches and I have all the latest drivers as well. Somebody Please help me!!!!!

Comment

Since the game runs fine for most people, there must be something on your system that causes a conflict. What's your operating system? Are you running any other programs at the same time? Try stopping any processes, tasks, etc. one at a time to try to identify the conflict. Switch to a lower screen resolution or fewer colors. Read the FAQ thread at the top of the previous page. Look through past threads for other tips. Lots of things to try, if you have the patience.
                    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                    -- Kosh

Comment

For me, I'm playing on three different systems:

1. home-made PC, Win98SE - have had no problems, until recently when had the goofy SMAX PP problem, that is hopefully fixed now.

2. Dell laptop, WinXP - only problems have been getting a terranx errors, that cause the game to shut down w/ a warning.

3. Gateway PC, WinXP [at my folk's] - change the code structure to get it to work on XP [as did for the laptop too], and all works good.

So, as mentioned, depends on your system, set-up, etc... patience, unfortunately, is not one of my virtues either...

Comment

Working...
                      X