What usual units do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What usual units do you use?

For instance, on that odd game that you make it to the psi weapons and defense. Ever make units with them? Often use the 12res weapon over the Shards(13)? Any other oddities you use?
    "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
    "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
    "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

never used psi defence, it comes way too late to be really useful. That and it's not really _that_ useful to begin with. psi attack sometimes, because WAVE psi choppers are nice for bypassing trance units, but then again I rarely play planet factions.

Res bolts > shards for the gaians or the cult, and I'll usually have a few 12er-1-2s around for pops in the late game.

1-1-1 police for the Hive are nice. 1^-x-1 drop defenders for playing chop 'n drop. Infantry and boats without armour (unusual? for the AI at least. *shrug*) SAM choppers maybe...dunno if they're considered unusual. I use high morale sometimes, like as the drones for dealing with wealth, and the mineral cost is dealt with by the industry bonus.

8~-1-1*2 units...marines are fun, and necessary for dealing with a spartan faction who uses comm jammers

Comment

Well, I used to produce psi defense units as a third base defender, or upgrade my police units to psi/police unit.

Psi attack units, no, very rarely.
      Usually have shard weapon way before 12bolt weapon. It's the way my tech goes, since I prefer to go into space.
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

aye. Living refinery, energy sats, shards > Theory of Everything, res bolts.

Comment

In order of "unusualness":

I use armored infantry for defensive probes, on the assumption they don't move much and the extra protection might serve as a last-ditch defense.

Armored crawlers are in such widespread use I hesitate to call them "unusual", but I do build a lot of 'em.

SAM artillery is also a fairly widespread phenomenon, but it probably bears mentioning as the only counter against the dreaded all-locust army.

Drop crawlers, drop formers, and drop transports are useful for exploiting distant, unclaimed resources like volcanoes. Drop crawlers can also be re-homed and reassigned quickly, so I tend to build quite a few for that reason if nothing else.

Drop probes are darn convenient, but it isn't often they're useful, for at that stage of the game the player dominates technologically. Still, if some fac happens to run down an "independent" branch of the tech tree and gets Silksteel or one of the res techs before you, a quick probe drop behind enemy lines sure beats a transport foil. XenoDome is nice for probes, too, incidentally.

To answer your specific question on res weaponry I seem to put a lot of it on ships.

Comment

What I guess I meant bout the res bolts is even after you get shards, do you ever build 12res units, or just stick with the extra point of attack rather than the +25% psi.

I am always looking for that "thinking outside of the box" (which ironically is its own cliché now )
            "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
            "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
            "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

Originally posted by Santiago_Clause
              Drop probes are darn convenient, but it isn't often they're useful, for at that stage of the game the player dominates technologically. Still, if some fac happens to run down an "independent" branch of the tech tree and gets Silksteel or one of the res techs before you, a quick probe drop behind enemy lines sure beats a transport foil. XenoDome is nice for probes, too, incidentally.
              I thought drop probes were considered non-combat units and can't move after a drop.

Comment

Originally posted by livid imp

I thought drop probes were considered non-combat units and can't move after a drop.
                You are right-- But they are useful if you can drop them in an unexpected place and then use them on the following turn
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Drop into fungus of course, so noone can see them

I'm using whatever I get my hands on, but favorites are the old 1-1-1(police) and the 4-1-2 Impact Rovers. Shard Choppers are good, and 0-2-1(trance) formers are handy to upgrade to if you see a worm.

-Jam
                  1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                  That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                  Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                  Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I don't think I use any unusual units.

I always keep a few sea probes around. They are among the first foil units to enter service, and among the first cruiser units.
                    -bondetamp
                    The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
                    -H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                      Drop into fungus of course, so noone can see them
                      So is it true the AI can see you even with a unit in the fungus/cloaked/submerged?

Comment

I think it is. But i've never really used a cloak or subs too extensively.

Comment

Okay, I didn't read any but the first post, so if alreay said, oh well. Until very, very recently I never built any units but normal formers, probe teams, and missiles. Of course, now I build weird crap like psi attacking units and send them off to morgan and a couple probe teams with silksteel armor (does that even do anything), and of course, a lot 2-2-2 units, which are probably the most useful. Garrison units, which usually have weapons (until late in the game) of power 1, can't kill them, and these rovers can attacke infantry attacking units, usually with no armor and slaughter them. And of course, they're cheap, but sometimes they really just don't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Commy
                            ....now I build weird crap like psi attacking units and send them off to morgan
                            That is what inspired this thread. I was making psi units to deal with well fortified Free Marketers. I thought about making psi troops with dislocative wave (or whatever it is called) to cancel out trance. With the Dream Twister this would be a nice combo. But by that time the game is over.

and a couple probe teams with silksteel armor (does that even do anything),
                            Yes it does If I get the Xeno Dome I like to send 3res/trance probe teams through the fungus to probe hard to reach enemy cities. With a +75% to psi defense, they almost never lose to worms on the way.

and of course, a lot 2-2-2 units, which are probably the most useful.
                            2-2-2 units are useful eh? I'll have to take your word on it. Seems like they wouldn't have enough defense to defend a town and not enough offense to take one, other than very early in the game. Even then, I'd rather have one 1-2-2 and one 2-1-2 to the same job with double the move and double the hp.

Comment

Unusual units.

Nuclear Subs.

Cruiser Transports with Underwater capability and air transportation....loaded with stockpile of Sin Busters.

Just park one of these things on the coast of your enemies faction and watch the fireworks.

EDIT: Only thing is that these "units" are expensive as heck to make.
                              Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                              Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                              *****Citizen of the Hive****
                              "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Working...
                              X