Quoting Morgan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoting Morgan

I'm writing an essay about allocating funds, and as usual, all source need to be refrenced. Now how do I refrence a fictional character with such a useful quote?

You ivory tower intellectuals must not lose touch with the world
    of industrial growth and hard currency. It is all very well and
    good to pursue these high-minded scientific theories, but research
    grants are expensive and you must justify your existence by providing
    not only knowledge, but concrete and profitable applications as well.

-- CEO Nwabudike Morgan,
    "The Ethics of Greed"
    #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
    #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

MORGAN, Nwabudike, The Ethics of Greed. (Morgan Industries, Morgan Publishing, 2225, p.389. ) In: Firaxis Games, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - a Brian Reynolds design. Hunt Valley?, Electronic Arts, 1999. or something...?
    Last edited by Maniac; April 13, 2004, 21:15.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Very nice!
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I would just cite it as an "electronic resource." Are you using MLA, Chicago, or what style for citing?

Comment

Re: Quoting Morgan

Originally posted by #endgame
          I'm writing an essay about allocating funds, and as usual, all source need to be refrenced. Now how do I refrence a fictional character with such a useful quote?
          You could try looking for real people who say this sort of thing? Executives, Henry Ford, Francis Fukuyama (maybe?), maybe even F. Hayek?
          Trithemius
          ["Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Comment

Quote Yang!

But seriously, I think you go by the "person", then the material quoted from, followed by the game, game publisher, studio, and year.

But for this thing, I would ask the professor on how he/she would like this reference to be quoted. AFAIK, video games do not have a citing method....closest thing I can think of is electronic format.....but even those vary from prof to prof and style to style.
            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
            *****Citizen of the Hive****
            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan
              Quote Yang!

But seriously, I think you go by the "person", then the material quoted from, followed by the game, game publisher, studio, and year.

But for this thing, I would ask the professor on how he/she would like this reference to be quoted. AFAIK, video games do not have a citing method....closest thing I can think of is electronic format.....but even those vary from prof to prof and style to style.
              And some supervisors might just fail to credit the reference because they think you are being slack. Some supervisors can be real jerks. :\
              Trithemius
              ["Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Comment

Hmmm, perhaps this is analogous to quoting a character from a script? What are the citing rules for referencing a quote from Shakespeare etc?

Or perhaps this:

[from http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1283316]
                [MLS: Citing a…]
                POEM or SHORT STORY in an ANTHOLOGY

Format:
                Author of Story. "Title of Story." Title of Book. Name of Editor.
                City of Publication: Publisher, Year. Page numbers of the story.
                So, here it would be something like:

Morgan, Nwabudike. “The Ethics of Greed.” Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri. Brian Reynolds/Sid Meier.
                Hunt Valley(?): Electronic Arts, 1999. (I dunno what you’d put for page number…)

Comment

Similar to my initial suggestion in other words.
                  Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                  Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

But don't the author of a story needs to be a real person? I would have thought the author would be the author of the game.
                    Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Originally posted by HongHu
                      But don't the author of a story needs to be a real person? I would have thought the author would be the author of the game.
                      Indeed, that seems to be the main problem. And I can't seem to find any rules for citing specific characters from a work, which I maintain would be the ideal form to use.

Comment

Is there a voice clip for this? If so, would the voice actor have to be credited?

Comment

tech9.wav.

Actually, I finished the essay now anyway, but if any discussions about genetic engineering come up, then there are the quotes for
                          Genejack Factory
                          Bioengineering
                          Biogenetics
                          That would all be useful.

But thanks anyway.
                          #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
                          #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

Working...
                          X