Eliminating the Pop. Boom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eliminating the Pop. Boom?

In my current game, I'm one tech away from getting the Cloning Vats, and for the first time in my gaming experience, I didn't want to build it (awaits the laughter). The reason for this is to make the game more challenging...I'm already more than twice as powerful as the second strongest, and a population boom would take my power rating off the charts. I won't be building it, but is there any way to prevent other factions from constructing it too? There are two solutions I can come up with:
    1) Sabotage their production with probe teams when 1 turn away from completion (won't work in the long run)
    2) This is only a guess...but will the project be eliminated if you destroy the base that built it? Or will everyone else be able to build it again?

SPs can only be build once. If a base with a SP in it got destroyed, the SP will lost for ever.
    [This message has been edited by knowhow2 (edited March 11, 2001).]
    It's close to midnight and something evil's is lurking in the dark.

Comment

I'm rather new to SMAC, but i know that in Civ2 you could just mess with the rules.txt file or something else and you could edit out wonders if you choose. Try doing the same thing for Alpha Centauri.

------------------
      Ozzy - King of Metal
      Ozzy - French in Millenial Euro Dip
      Ozzy - Formerly Proud Sayen member
      Ozzy - Prez of NYRA, http://nyra.ecg.net
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

If you're looking for a challenge, why not build the project and then conveniently lose the base containing it to the second (or third) place faction. I would think you'd /want/ someone else to build it if you're looking for a challenge...

Walt

Comment

Or more simply you might play against humans....
          I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Rift,

You can build the Cloning Vats, and then micromanage your bases so that they aren't producing excess Nuts. That way your pop will not boom.
            He's got the Midas touch.
            But he touched it too much!
            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Another solution: leave the AI eating dust tech-wise. Even at max settings you should be able to comfortably transcend before they get high enough in the tech tree to build the Vats.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by RedFred on 03-12-2001 11:17 PM
                Another solution: leave the AI eating dust tech-wise. Even at max settings you should be able to comfortably transcend before they get high enough in the tech tree to build the Vats.

I usually play with only the conquer victory option toggled on

Comment

A good idea may be to build it small city and give that city to a submissive.
                  http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Working...
                  X