Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

Aren't you screwed if an aggresive faction attacks you in the beginning? Even if you beat them you are behind everyone else.

Depends.

If you beat them without taking any losses, then THEY are screwed

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
      Depends.

If you beat them without taking any losses, then THEY are screwed

-Jam
      true

But I am sure he means in turn advantage. I guess it would really be detremined by whether or not you had to change production, lost any formers/crawlers, bases, etc. What is the point at which the AI interfers so much early on that you would scrap the game?
      Did I sum that up correctly d=me?
      "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
      "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
      "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
      "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

Not necessarily as Jam says.

If you turn the ride and then counter attack and make the aggressive faction a submissive, give them all your techs on a regular basis and then rely on their research and yours to power yourself through mid and late game.

That being said tho' it is a PIA to have to deal with an early game onslaught and more often than not it does bog you down and slow you in comparison to the other 5 factions not involved in the extra curricular affaris.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.†- Jimmy Carter

Comment

It is either a huge blessing or a huge curse, depending on whether you can rally and take enemy bases or barely hang on until your opponent tires of attacking you.

Grabbing up a bunch of bases early in the game will catapult you into the midgame with a huge turn advantage. It's like starting the game with 12 bases instead of 2.

On the other hand, if the enemy grinds you down and every turn you devote your entire economy to military survival, then assuming you survive you'll likely miss a lot of critical SP's and be behind technologically for a long time to come, having to rely on probes to get caught up.

Frightening as it is to watch your Impact Rovers and Plasma Defenders get pelted with fusion missiles from Yang, Domai, or Miriam, It's the loss of SP's to opposing factions which hurts the most.

Comment

If you're playing the AI, no. If you're playing competent humans, yes.

If you DO find yourself with early neighbors, start plotting their demise IMMEDIATELY. Failing to do so is probably the single most common mistake I see rookie SMAC players do. That doesn't mean that you have to attack right away, but it does mean that you have to make their destruction/subjugation your first and most overriding priority.

Comment

I was actually talking about technology. If you encountered them at the 10th turn and finally beat them on the 100 th turn then aren't you lagging behind in tech? Like you built units for immadiate use instead of recycling tanks ect... for 100 turns aren't you ages behind everyone else?

Comment

If you are the angels, and they (the attackers) are one of the alien factions, you might be screwed, but you might also have a good reason to use the probe team you start with and steal technology without getting in more trouble. Usually, the aliens research field modulation very early, so I can usually steal it from them my first try. Beware my 1-3r-1s, they can even compete with the aliens.

Comment

Usually it will screw up a player who is set on a builder game. For momentum players it's a godsend.

I remember when an aggressive Lal declared unprovoked war upon me (playing the University) just as my crawlers were beginning to tell. I had about 5 bases with decent production and simply produced two impact rovers at each base. It hardly caused a hiccup in my game, perhaps a total waste of 5 years in production. I was fortunate in that I was able to bribe one of his impact rovers in that game. Otherwise I would have had to take a three tech detour. That would have been a real setback. As it was he became a loyal ally and provided a good deal of tech and commerce while serving as a buffer for me.
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                  X