discover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• discover

Why is there so few discover technologies?

Because they're not practical.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

But they make revolutional steps. Although if not short trem effects like optical computers.

Comment

practical in short term I mean (in general)
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

When there is blind research is it a good idea to check only discover?

Comment

No, you need to guess what the game will choose next when the current research is done, and check the area in which it is most likely he will choose your desired next tech.

It is difficult, with tech trading going along while researching. An entirely new direction can be choosen then by the game.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

But blind research is fun
              SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

I second that, obstructor.

I like to have random factors in my games. That means blind research, no survey, random starting location, etc
                Who is Barinthus?

Comment

I think Plasma Shards before anyone gets Plasma Steel Armor is funner! Much funner than silly blindness! And if I have to be an alien, then I will!

Comment

I did blind research last game. I don't normally do it.

At first I concentrated on the top to choices (I can't remember which ones they are). I think Discover is one of them. I think techs like optical computers are discover. It doesn't result in units, goverments, secret projects, or city improvements. Just a gateway tech.

But at some point you need those gateway techs to advance the tech tree.

But I'm still not all that familiar with blind research. near halway in the game I just checked all 4 boxes .

Comment

Note that Fusion and Orbital Spaceflight are Discover techs
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

I know, I think that this is just weird. Fusion power should be a build tech and probability mechanics should be a discover tech.
                        Last edited by d=me; April 11, 2004, 01:02.

Comment

I like the discover techs in second only to build techs. I love the Fusion and Quantum Labs

Comment

I play blind just because I like to imagine my scientists are bumbling around in their labs and then accidentally discover something new.

"Hey what's this?.......*explosion*.......I think we have Orbital Spaceflight now."
                            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                            *****Citizen of the Hive****
                            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan
                              I play blind just because I like to imagine my scientists are bumbling around in their labs and then accidentally discover something new.

"Hey what's this?.......*explosion*.......I think we have Orbital Spaceflight now."
                              Was one of scientists launched into orbit by strength of explosion?

Comment

Working...
                              X