No announcement yet.

PLANET rating and Psi Combat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't want to appear to be harassing Commy, but I think it's necessary to post the correct information. Look at this image:

(The image appears two posts below.)

This is from a game playing as the University, running Free Market. In the top half of the picture, a trance scout attacks a mind worm. You can see the 30% combat penalty due to the negative planet rating. In the bottom half of the picture, the mind worm attacks the scout. This time, there is no defensive combat penalty.

Commy--Can you post a game save that supports your side? Or a screenshot similar to this one?
    Last edited by Petek; April 11, 2004, 07:39.
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

Image link not working. I thought the penalty only applied for inter-faction warefare...

Comment

Sorry for the broken image link. Let me try attaching it as a file.
        Attached Files
        "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
        -- Kosh

Comment

Perhaps you are right, Petek. If you look in the alpha centauri rules and this is what I saw, I directly copied this?

10, ; Combat % -> Psi attack bonus/penalty per +PLANET

This is only for attack. And there is no line such as this one for defense.

But, I swear I have had defense penalties playing as morgans very late in the game. Numerous times. I remember because that was when I started to do a green economy late in the game so I wouldn't have to deal with it.

Sorry, I don't want to say that I'm right and you're wrong, but I can only tell you what I have seen with my own eyes.

Comment

Next time you see defensive penalties, capture it and share it with us
            Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Maybe you have a bug Commy? Does penalty apply to attck? If not maybe the game "switched penalty" from attack to defense.
              SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Perhaps I just accidently thought I saw defense penalties, but they really were attack, since battles happen so fast sometimes, because I can't get defense penalties against psi to happen in any game with free market, which is good, because I can now safely play with a free market without having to worry about totally getting killed by psi on defence. Perhaps it has to do something with patches, because I just literally got Crossfire and all the patches.

Comment

On this specific point: "Is this bonus capped at +30%, or does having a +4, or higher, PLANET rating increase this modifier?"
                  Yes, in a Psi Attack, +4 gets you +40%, +5 gets you +50%, etc.
                  The higher PLANET rating does not further enchance your ability to capture natives.
                  I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Working...
                  X