A thing I never understood in SMAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A thing I never understood in SMAC

I am a bit embarrased , but can anyone explain me the art of destroying enemy units with selfdistruct?
    Whenever I selfdestruct chosen unit, it does not damage enemy units on nearby squares.
    So how do you exactly then damage units on nearby squares?
    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

IIRC there's a difference between using the key shortcut and menu command. One works and other doesn't in terms of blowing up things. Have you tried both?
    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Obviously not. I only use key commands. Is that the matter?
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

First off you need to ensure you have a uit with minimally a weapon strength of 2 in order to cause any damage.

Secondly self destructed units will not harm units inside a base.

Thirdly, sometimes the graphics don't reset and the unit appears to still be there. If you run a unit by it the affected unit will be damaged or destroyed (dpending on the amount doled out to it).

4thly no transport or probe teams as they have no weapon strength.

Finally what DataAeolus said.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

So blowing up garrison outside base will have no effect then? I must try difference between key and menu commands.

Comment

never tried that.

Is it just weapon strenght or does reactor size also matter? Say like having a fusion over a fission reactor for instance.

Comment

reactor size should matter I think, the higher reactor rating, the more hitpoints. But if only the weapon strength is taken into account for damage, then not.
              He who knows others is wise.
              He who knows himself is enlightened.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

IIRC the hitpoints of damage inflicted equals

weapon /2 multiplied by reactor strength

I believe the result is rounded down as destructing a scout inflicts no damage but I have not tested this

Of course any unit with a weapon of 20 will completely destroy any unit of equal or lesser reactor strength and a shard chopper with fusion decimates any fission unit in the game
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Actually, then you could selfdestruct a Planet Buster near a stack of quantum units and have them more or less eradicated?
                  -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                    Actually, then you could selfdestruct a Planet Buster near a stack of quantum units and have them more or less eradicated?

INteresting-- I have never tried to self-destruct a Planet Buster-- If it works it might get around ODP and flechetter defenses but of course, nothing inside a base would be harmed.

Its a cute idea but in the later game, I don't believe you see very many big stacks of ground units anyway
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I remember reading the idea of self-destruct PB before. The idea is that PB must hit a unit to detonate, so a strategy against PBs is to empty the base and clear the area near the base. But then there's suggestion that one can self-destruct PB. But I also heard that this does not work. I have never tried it myself.
                      Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

But if missiles can selfdestruct, why shouldn't PB's be able to do the same?

It does not detonate as a buster then, but only 'damaging' the units in open tiles around. Thus creating a lot of havoc with it's 99 attack weapon, without causing an atrocity.
                        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

But if missiles can selfdestruct, why shouldn't PB's be able to do the same?

It does not detonate as a buster then, but only 'damaging' the units in open tiles around. Thus creating a lot of havoc with it's 99 attack weapon, without causing an atrocity.
                          So would a self-destructing Singularity Planetbuster do 198 hitpoints of damage to adjacent units? Wow.
                          Trithemius
                          ["Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Comment

That's the idea, an my hope

That way it has two purposes, from which one wouldn't be an atrocity.
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

That's the idea, an my hope
                              That way it has two purposes, from which one wouldn't be an atrocity.
                              Does it damage units in bases? If not then it could be a horrible, if costly, "point-defence" for dealing with massed attackers with air-cover.
                              Trithemius
                              ["Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Comment

Working...
                              X