• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air units

Just how important are air units?

Re: Air units

Originally posted by d=me
    Just how important are air units?
    They typically dominate combat once they become available.
    He's got the Midas touch.
    But he touched it too much!
    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

but you have to halve the number by air to ground and air to air. air missions seemed so complicated when you have to send air to air units with air to ground.

Comment

Air units are awesome. They signal an entirely new era of warfare in SMAC. Some of the old early game tactics go right out of the window with the introduction of air units. For instance, exposing units in an open field becomes very risky. When you research Mind/Machine Interface, you get the drop-pod special ability and the Chopper chassis, paving the way for a very popular tactic against the AI: the chop-&-drop.

Basically you build a bunch of choppers and a few drop-pod units, and you use the choppers to clean out the enemy bases and the drop-pods to swoop in and capture them. Although pretty soon the AI will catch on and start building AAA units, which defend twice as good against air attacks. Then, you might need to incorporate some conventional land forces into your attacks, or even better, an amphibious assault, if you can manage it. Get about 8 6-1-1 amphibious missle infantry, pack em' into a transport or two, and sail right up to a coastal bases with an AAA missle destroyer protecting the cruiser from air attacks, and you can take the AI's bases in no time.

But anyways, back to air units, yeah, you will want to build a lot of air units. I try to get an interceptor in most of my bases vulnerable to enemy air strikes, plus maybe about 20 or 30 penetrators and/or choppers, and then I perhaps switch to building clean penetrators once my need isn't as urgent in order to save on support costs.
        Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeiter
          But anyways, back to air units, yeah, you will want to build a lot of air units. I try to get an interceptor in most of my bases vulnerable to enemy air strikes, plus maybe about 20 or 30 penetrators and/or choppers, and then I perhaps switch to building clean penetrators once my need isn't as urgent in order to save on support costs.
          Don't interceptor-type air units also defend against drop troops? Or is this done by the Aerospace facility? (Horrible Australian customsmen have not released my computer yet, so I can't check up on it myself... )
          Trithemius
          ["Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Comment

Originally posted by d=me
            but you have to halve the number by air to ground and air to air. air missions seemed so complicated when you have to send air to air units with air to ground.
            Not complicated-- penetrators can't kill other planes but attack ground troops full strength. Interceptors attack other planes with their weapon plus an attack bonus but hit ground troops at half strength.

generally air units are crucial and the first faction to get them. generally dominates until their enemies acquire them
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Air Power in SMAC is just like how it is in real life......whomever controls the skies, controls Planet.
              Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
              Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
              *****Citizen of the Hive****
              "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Interceptors are usually the way to go for my limited purposes.

Firstly, if you only build Interceptors, then you're going to rule the skies. The 50% attack vs ground is enough to cream all the formers and crawlers you find with no difficulty

Secondly, I don't use Penetrators for ground attack - that's the jobs of the Choppers and the Marines.

Meaning I rarely need Penetrators at all.

-Jam
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

But they often have longer range (penetrators)

I use 'em early to clear out bases or destroy reinforcements (before choppa's).

You can also use them to destroy cruiser transports headed toward your shores or to get to those oh-so-isolated bases that always seem to have their garrisons destroyed by one thing or another.
                  Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan
                    But they often have longer range (penetrators)
                    I build Penetrators for style purposes. Last time I made massive use of them I was dinking around with the Usurpers; I used them to "strategically bomb" things, B-52 styles.

Not exactly practical admittedly, but surprisingly fun. (Judaa S. McNamararr perhaps? )
                    Trithemius

Comment

I thought you said you were DRINKING around with the Usurpers.

Comment

Lame, I know but I'm freakin' tired and work is slow boring. Almost time for me to get my happy-a** home.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan
                          I thought you said you were DRINKING around with the Usurpers.
                          Hrm, you know, those Usurpers aren't so bad, it might be nice to toss back a few xenorums with them sometime. They are pretty good guys when they aren't systematically nerve-gassing you to death,
                          Trithemius

Comment

Working...
                          X