No announcement yet.

Alpha Cent 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's why I was thinking of a specific vision.

Obviously a sequal is out of the question.

But a remake. Say a different take of what could have happened.

And maybe keep the techs less science fiction-ey. Of course you have to have some degree of science fiction being as it is in the future. And you have to have an upward progression or the tech tree would be boring.

I wouldn't want to see the same mindworm/Planet thing either. It was interesting, but not one of my favourite parts of SMAC.

Comment

"SMAC II, The Sequel" would be a Master of Orion like space strategy game with "Manifold Transcendi", "Usurpers", "Caretakers", and "Earthlings" among its playable inhabitants.

As for the techs, the creation of a global neural network is an incredible achievement, but there still is no FTL drive, so by MoO standards even the Transcendi have a long way to go, plenty of distance in which to fit a game.

That brings me a a rant: one thing that bugs me about sequels is when everyone "forgets" how to do the stuff they did last game.

Like Terror from the Deep all the cool stuff you had for land-fighting from UFO Defense disappears like it never existed, and you magically revert to the tech level of Shaka Zulu, hurling spears at aliens on land as if you had no notion even of gunpowder -- let alone all the stuff you invented in UFO Defense. Underwater I can see why you'd use a harpoon, but on land!? My kingdom for a f**king bronze cannon.

Underwater, meanwhile, more stupidity: Jaques f**king Cousteau had a friggin' BCD, but you don't seem to know about them in the beginning of TfTD. All you can do is clomp around on the ground. Maybe instead of subs we should be using diving bells while we're at it so as not to shatter the 19th century ambiance?

TFtD was, of course, a PoS retread of UFO D, with a few of the names changed to make it seem "new", and to make sure that kind of thing doesn't happen, game designers should respect their timeline and tech tree in their sequels.

In SMAC II the Transcendi should start the game with advantages and disadvanteges based on how they ended SMAC I, probably with Deidre's personality and political agenda, given the extreme nature of their biology.

The game should be changed, different, new, but keeping the attitude of its predecessor, the subtly subversive but charming wit, the clever ridicule of the closed mind and the demagogue, the imagined possibilities that answer the question, "What will the future be like?"

Or we could all just put in our preorders for the inevitable Civ 5. History does indeed seem doomed to repeat itself.

Comment

I play Civ Conquests just as much as SMAC, and I have crossfire, so I don't really need any SMAC 2, although it would be interesting.

Comment

It pains me to think of all the mind-numbing, pathetic sequels that get released everyday but the ones you really wanna see like alpha smac 2 never get created. Personally I think there is room for a smac 2 financially; I'm pretty sure the civ player base has grown dramatically with plenty of credit due to great sites like apolyton and civfanatics. I just feel that smac was a title not many people knew about nor everyplayed. If smac 2 was promoted well as a sequel of sorts to civ and people realised this I think it would sell. Same as master of Orion series I never knew that existed untill recently and I've never played any of them yet.

Personally I think there is no need to make a sequel of sorts to smac Just mature and refine the formula as civ3 did too civ 2. Not groundbreaking stuff but balanced and stable. SMAC is wonderfully original but a bit strange in its mechanics ie everything costing a fortune at the start almost nothing later on.

Comment

Working...
          X