Undersea Volcano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undersea Volcano

I just made an Undersea Volcano in map editor. Cool. Never thought about it before.
    Mart
    Map creation contest
    WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Yeah? Can you post a picture? Any extra resources?
    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

I guess you placed a volcano on the map and reduced the height of the rim tiles till it was a shelf?

Didn't know that was possible, The lowest I went was a 10-990 tile, just above water surface thus.
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Re: Undersea Volcano

Originally posted by mart7x5
        I just made an Undersea Volcano in map editor. Cool. Never thought about it before.
        Does it still give the added mineral bonus? That would really have some good applications for pirate Factions!

I have on occasion sunk the Unity Wreckage, replacing the Mining Laser with a Unity Submersible, which is an undersea exploration vehicle armed with a laser. Everythin works as it should otherwise. FYI.

D

Comment

Re: Re: Undersea Volcano

Originally posted by Darsnan
          I have on occasion sunk the Unity Wreckage, replacing the Mining Laser with a Unity Submersible, which is an undersea exploration vehicle armed with a laser. Everythin works as it should otherwise. FYI.
          A yes, Darsnan, I wanted to ask a question about this submersible.

In the ACDG alphax.txt that submersible has 'none' as tech presequite, Does it only then pop instead of the mining laser?

Also, isn't there a chance then that a 'normal' sea pod gives one?

And last: if you make it a basic unit with no tech as preq., how comes a player can't produce it then? It's like a scout then IMO.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Undersea Volcano

Originally posted by GeoModder

A yes, Darsnan, I wanted to ask a question about this submersible.

In the ACDG alphax.txt that submersible has 'none' as tech presequite, Does it only then pop instead of the mining laser?
            If you are referring to my comments in this thread , why I have specified "Disable" for the unit, meaning it cannot be built (just like Battle Ogres and Fungal Towers). This is the line as specified:

Unity Submersible, Foil, Laser, Scout, 0, 0, 0, Disable, -1, 00100000000000000000000000000

This specific line in the alphax.txt #UNITS Section is looked for by some of the hardcoding of the game, and whatever unit you place into this line will then pop up when the appropriate Unity pod is "popped". In my last CGN Challenge, I turned the Unity Wreckage into a Progenitor spaceship wreckage, and I placed a Battle Ogre MK 0 (4-2-1 Infantry with the Battle Ogre icon) into the appropriate pod.

Originally posted by GeoModder

Also, isn't there a chance then that a 'normal' sea pod gives one?

And last: if you make it a basic unit with no tech as preq., how comes a player can't produce it then? It's like a scout then IMO.
            There is a small chance someone will pop a pod and obtain this unit, just like on occasions you pod a Mining Laser or Scout Chopper.

Finally, you are correct that if you add a basic unit with no tech prerequisite (i.e. "None") into the alphax.txt, then it can immediately be built by all players, such as the Scout listed below:

Scout Patrol, Infantry, Gun, Scout, 3, 0, 0, None, -1, 00000000000000000000000000

FYI.

D

Comment

Ah, thanks for the answer. I did mix up 'disable' with 'none', but it is clear to me now.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

The Volcano, I could lower it below depth 2300 meters
                Attached Files
                Mart
                Map creation contest

Comment

Similar with other Landmarks:

Crater - gives still +1 mineral on 9 tiles (in scenario it says it gives)
                  Monolith (The Ruins) - stays underwater
                  Pholus Ridge - still gives +1 energy
                  Boreholes Cluster - still present below, it says "Sea Borehole", though i have alphax.txt set for disable there
                  Manifold Nexus stays underwater, but tile description no longer has "Nexus" in its description
                  Mart
                  Map creation contest

Comment

Cool. Would factions be able to build sea bases above that volcano?
                    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by DataAeolus
                      Cool. Would factions be able to build sea bases above that volcano?
                      That must be tested...

But first guess is yes.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Also the volcanic opening should have more than just +1 energy IMHO.

There would be great amount of heat which people could convert into energy. Look at Iceland for instance.
                        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Can you even build on the vocano in the first place? I have never actually had a colony pod try to build on it. I see the AI do it all the time, but then again, the AI can do a whole bunch of crap like send missiles infinite amount of squares and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by DataAeolus
                            Also the volcanic opening should have more than just +1 energy IMHO.

There would be great amount of heat which people could convert into energy. Look at Iceland for instance.
                            Some way around it is give that tile:
                            - energy bonus +2
                            - maybe add an uranium there +1
                            -----------------------
                            Well, uranium does not work there at all, but energy bonus yes:
                            - basic energy +3
                            - with collector +7

Solar collector there can be then considered as actually a heat energy colector.
                            Energy restriction lifting appears to have no effect there, something like it is with mineral bonus on rocky tile.
                            Last edited by Mart; April 4, 2004, 22:34.
                            Mart
                            Map creation contest

Comment

Originally posted by Commy
                              but then again, the AI can do a whole bunch of crap like send missiles infinite amount of squares and stuff.
                              That bug is solved in one of the patches, IIRC.
                              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                              X