Difficulty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d=me
    mariam did that. how can 2-3 rovers take them?
    On a tile one unit is defender (btw, you can also designate a defender yourself - see manual). However if that defender looses, all 19 other units take colateral damage. Second rover takes out another defender, all 18 units take colateral damage. Third units takes out third defender, all 17 units take colateral damage for the third time. I'm not sure here, but maybe 2-4 colateral damages and all units there are dead
    Mart
    Map creation contest
    WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

I don't have the manual. and how much extra support should a base pay. Or in other words how many units per base?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
        I suggest a quick course in Responsive Defense Doctorine
        Followed by a crash course in Annihilation Concept.
        Trithemius
        ["Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Comment

I suggest a quick course in Responsive Defense Doctorine

-Jam
          I have the same problem, I suppose. Any reading materials on this doctrine?
          Who is Barinthus?

Comment

(General) Von Manstein in the Causacus 1942-3. Find a big heavy and serious book on his retreat to Rostov. The undisputed master of the responsive defense, in complete denial of Hitler's "Stand firm and defend the strongpoints" doctorine.

Basically, the whole thing is about concentration of forces, as you can't hold a line and defend everywhere against an equal number of enemies trying to break through in one place.

What you can do is put out patrols and sensors/intellegece to see where the enemy is planning on attacking, and bring up your full army from the rear areas to meet them. Defend like the Fire Brigade. They don't sit in front of your house in case it burns down, they come when the fire is already started.

-Jam
            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Maybe I missed something, but is he saying that he keeps 2-3 units INSIDE the base or BUILT by the base? I usually have 2 units in a base just in case the first one is destroyed by con. missile, Demon Boil swarms, bad luck, etc.

(and to help control drone riots. 1-1-1 Clean Police are cheap)
              Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
              Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
              *****Citizen of the Hive****
              "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

He's playing Uni, so let's assume running FM. That means 1 empath rover for every 4-5 bases, and 1 trance trained 1-1-1 unit if the base is near fungus or the coast.

Everything else should get the hell out of those bases and go and take on the attackers. You can't defend an empire at the gates of each base. You'd need
                • 2-3 Infantry Air Defense : 1-best-1 AAA
                • 1-2 Infantry Rover Defense : 1-best-1 ECM
                • 1+ Interceptor(s)
                • Worm Defense : 1-1(t)-1
                • SAM Rover : best-1-2 SAM
                • Artillery Rover : best-1-2 ART
                • 1+ Defensive Probe Team(s)
                • Perimiter Defense

And even then a base will only slow down a determined attack.

-Jam
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

(General) Von Manstein in the Causacus 1942-3. Find a big heavy and serious book on his retreat to Rostov. The undisputed master of the responsive defense, in complete denial of Hitler's "Stand firm and defend the strongpoints" doctorine.
                  I thought he was Field Marshal by this time (Third Battle of Kharkov-ish)?

Regardless of that, von Manstein is pretty much the best at this sort of thing.

P.S. Jamski, have you ever played "The Last Victory: Von Manstein's Backhand Blow" now there is a real boardgame!
                  Trithemius

Comment

Ah, I never played FM successfully. The last time I played with FM, I had so many drones that I just said "Screw You! Get back to work!" and nervestapled them all.

But being Morgan.........yeah, it didn't turn out how I wanted it to.

Any other tips?
                    Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                    *****Citizen of the Hive****
                    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Karkov is in the Ukraine, 1943-4, in the next set of retreats, I believe he was still a General in the Causacus (I may be mistaken)

Sadly not, although just the title sounds good, which reminds me - I found a new copy of Shogun, and it is indeed now called Samurai

-Jam

Comment

Karkov is in the Ukraine, 1943-4, in the next set of retreats, I believe he was still a General in the Causacus (I may be mistaken)
                        Could be right with that, now that I think about it.

Sadly not, although just the title sounds good, which reminds me - I found a new copy of Shogun, and it is indeed now called Samurai
                        Literally thousands of cardboard counters (most of them supply markers though...). It even has a high command system to simulate the idiocy of Hitler and Stalin (each staff officer is given a rating that represents their ability to get their own way). It's great!

Curses on the despoilers of Shogun.
                        Trithemius

Comment

I never run FM.... especially as Uni... not sure if he would... The reason I usually have AAA on hand was several near losses due to quick flips, usually the computer paying my pact mate to attack me... with choppers and needlejets that I had helped them get... that taught me... they wiped out my base defenders, and only by luck that I use magtubes, and they missed a guy, did I manage to save that island...

Comment

Working...
                          X