Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Secrets of the Progenitor Brain: Where did their brains go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secrets of the Progenitor Brain: Where did their brains go?

What happened to Secrets of the Progenitor Brain? I mean, come on, why do they get a free tech when they discover secrets of the human brain. OOH, WOW, we now know about the Human Brain. Lets go kill them!! Perhaps they should have made a separate tech tree for the Progenitors, where Progenitor Pysch replace Social Psych, and Secrets of the Human Brain was replaced with secrets of the Progenitor Brain.

Yes, I guess they thought of that, but adding a second and separate tech tree was probably impossible to do, due to harcoded stuff etc.
    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

You can more or less make separate tech trees, but it only works well for AI's. Just change the tendencies for every race (growth, build, tech, conquer - 2 for each) and change the techs accordingly. I tried to make it once and it worked fairly ok.

And for Commy: with my modded tech tree, it was the first tech I renamed. How does Secrets of the sapient brain sounds?
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Yes, but this still aren`t true separate tech trees.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

The game manual specifically states that for the Progenitors, facilities like the childrens' creche have been translated from their Progenitor equivalent. It is reasonable to assume that the same can be said for some of the techs.

Comment

Everyone knows Projenitors dont have brains
            Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

So when the Caretakers discover "SotHB", they actually learn all about Progenitor brains? And when they come to trade that knowledge to Morgan for 100 credits, it is automatically translated to info on human brains?

Comment

Don't forget that those secrets are involved about empathic abilities (hence the trance ability). It could be that that is similar in both species.
                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder And for Commy: with my modded tech tree, it was the first tech I renamed. How does Secrets of the sapient brain sounds?
                  I'm sorry to ask, but what does sapient mean? (I must be really stupid, sorry.) If I knew, I could give you an answer.

Also, for anybody you has Conquests for Civilization, their are modified tech trees for certain civilizations on some of the Conquests. For example, on Age of Discovery, the Mesoamerican civs have a separate tech tree. Same thing for the Babarians I think on Fall of Rome (I could be wrong on that one.) Since it's the same coding a same game designer, why wouldn't have been possible for the designers to do the same thing? The aliens already have their own background music, set of sounds, names of facilities, and military unit graphics, why not add a little special tech tree?

Comment

Originally posted by Commy

I'm sorry to ask, but what does sapient mean? (I must be really stupid, sorry.) If I knew, I could give you an answer.
                    Commie,

Not a stupid question at all! Sapient isn't a SMACX-specific term. It means intelligent. So, when GeoModder referred to "Secrets of the sapient brain", he was just changing the name of the tech to refer to any intelligent species, not just humans.

Welcome to Apolyton. New enthusiatic members such as yourself help keep the forum going. You may want to browse through the older threads to see what's already been discussed here.
                    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                    -- Kosh

Comment

No need to apologise, english isn't my native tongue, so I'm sometimes at a loss as well.

Petek already answered your question, btw.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Also, for anybody you has Conquests for Civilization, their are modified tech trees for certain civilizations on some of the Conquests. For example, on Age of Discovery, the Mesoamerican civs have a separate tech tree. Same thing for the Babarians I think on Fall of Rome (I could be wrong on that one.) Since it's the same coding a same game designer, why wouldn't have been possible for the designers to do the same thing? The aliens already have their own background music, set of sounds, names of facilities, and military unit graphics, why not add a little special tech tree?
                        Civ 3 has AGES, SMAC DOES NOT. So it is possible in Civ 3 to "switch ages" while this is not possible in SMAX.

Comment

Sorry obstructor, understand the ages, but don't see your point. Are you saying that it cannot be programmed for different tech trees? Please explain.

Also, GeoModder, I think the idea of sapient is good. Although, it still would be cool to have a separate tech tree.

Comment

I believe obstructor's point is that SMAC/X and Civ 3 runs on different engine. I could be wrong alto.
                            Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Sorry obstructor, understand the ages, but don't see your point. Are you saying that it cannot be programmed for different tech trees? Please explain.
                              Civ 3 loads tech tree for each age- even as it remembers tech researched in "previous tree" - engine is different so I guess that mesoamericans just "load" different part of tech tree. I don`t really have any of expansions.

Comment

Working...
                              X