Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with sound problems

Hi to all fans of this great game!
    I have installed both smac and smac/x, OS on my computer is windows 98SE, also I have patch v 2.0 for smac/x installed.
    Now the problem: all sound effects in the game are playing normally except for the missile weapon and battles between probe teams when no sound is heard. Can someone please help me?
    Thanks in advance

For probe teams I never knew there was a sound for them.

For missile weapon: the sounds plays, but is very low. It's not an interesting sound too.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

RalPA: I've had the same problem and found a way to get the missile sounds working properly. In the alpha centauri.ini file you have to try changing these values (either 0 or 1):

ds3d=1
      eax=0

The above setting works perfectly for me, but you may want to try a different setting. I do not believe battles between Probe Teams have any sound.

Also, if you should wish to play the original SMAC I highly recommend installing the Win2000/XP Compatibility patch (works on Win98 too). This patch (v. 5.0) fixes some annoying and gamebreaking bugs still present in the SMAC v. 4.0 patch.

Does this help?

Comment

Thank you both for replying.

RalPA: I've had the same problem and found a way to get the missile sounds working properly. In the alpha centauri.ini file you have to try changing these values (either 0 or 1): ds3d=1 eax=0
        In my file both values were set at 1, I tried your setting but it just does not seem to be working.

GeoModder: believe me when I say that I don't hear ANY sound playing for that type (and only for that type) of weapon.
        As for probe teams: I meant sound for battle between two probe teams, it played in the original smac before I installed smac/x.

Comment

along with the missile weapon, the sound for the singularity laser wasn't working for me either. I just dimissed it and insignificant, though if there is a fix....

Comment

63 more wavs in SMAX\FX

In SMAC there are only two battle sounds: one for Psi ("psi attack.wav") and one for Everything Else ("energy1.wav") including duelling Probe Teams. There are, of course, the Conventional Missile and Planet Buster, but I don't count them as "battle" sounds.

SMAX enabled different sounds for the different weapons (they are the "wpn name.wav" in the "fx" folder).
            There is no battle sound for Probe Teams; they work silently .
            There is a "wpn missile launcher.wav", but I've never heard it in the game; I suspect the coding that calls it is wrong. I agree with GeoModder: it is rather uninteresting (too fast and short).
            I've never heard "wpn spore launcher.wav" despite being targeted by them quite often.
            I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Re: 63 more wavs in SMAX\FX

Originally posted by gwillybj
              In SMAC there are only two battle sounds: one for Psi ("psi attack.wav") and one for Everything Else ("energy1.wav") including duelling Probe Teams. There are, of course, the Conventional Missile and Planet Buster, but I don't count them as "battle" sounds.

SMAX enabled different sounds for the different weapons (they are the "wpn name.wav" in the "fx" folder).
              There is no battle sound for Probe Teams; they work silently .
              There is a "wpn missile launcher.wav", but I've never heard it in the game; I suspect the coding that calls it is wrong. I agree with GeoModder: it is rather uninteresting (too fast and short).
              I've never heard "wpn spore launcher.wav" despite being targeted by them quite often.
              Thank you for the explanation gwillybj
              I guess it's no such big deal. Now back to playing the wonderful game smac/x is

Comment

Working...
              X