Tectonic missiles in smac.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tectonic missiles in smac.

I can't play smacx because it always crahes. Is there any way to make tectonic missles available in smac? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sem, check the following link.
    http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum12/HTML/001580.html?12

It may help solve your SMAX crash problems. Took me 4 days to figure it out but SMAX and SMAC run fine now.

If you only have the one disk. Run two installs to different directories. Make one for SMAC use with the SMAC v4 patch and the other for SMAX use with the patches listed in the thread.

Comment

Theohall, thanks. I'm going to try your suggestion, but 1st, I need some clarification. Your help is appreciated. Question 1. Do I need the plantary pack for this fix? I bought smac and smacx in seperate packages. Question 2. Your instuctions No. 3, I assume I'm to reload smacx and then load the v.2 patch in the smaxc directory where it will overwrite the neccessary files? Your instructions No. 4, I then download the corrected exe.file into smax. I assume this will over write the old exe. file, and is it necessary to backup the old terran.exe file since if anything goes wrong I'm going to have to reload smac and forget about smacx? Your instructions No's. 5 and 6, After starting smacx from the axstart.exe file, do I then have to start smac? If so, at this point, how do I get to smac terran.exe file sine the entire screen is filled with smacx? Thanks.

Comment

Since you have separate disks it's a little different.

It is imperative that SMAC and SMAX be maintained separate directories due to some compatibility bug in the latest SMAC v4 patch and the SMAX v2 patch.

1) SMAC should already be installed. Don't mess with that directory. SMAC should still be accessible from your Programs menu and you can just copy the shortcut to your desktop or access it via that menu.

2) SMAX - you will need to install SMAC first to a separate directory from the original. When the install screen comes up and asks for an install directory - don't just hit enter. Give it a new name like - SMAX.

3) Install SMAX into your SMAX directory created in step 2. It should create a separate link in your Programs menu. If not, you can cut and paste a shortcut from the axstart.exe file in your SMAX directory to a location of your choosing.

4) Load v2 patch to SMAX directory. DO NOT put the SMAC v4 patch into the SMAX directory or you will get the startup crash again.

5) irt "I then download the corrected exe.file into smax. I assume this will over write the old exe. file, and is it necessary to backup the old terran.exe file since if anything goes wrong I'm going to have to reload smac and forget about smacx?" yes and no. Backup the terranx.exe in the SMAX directory. The "terran.exe" file in this directory should not be used since you should have SMAC in a separate directory (Step 1 of this post). You are backing up the terranx.exe file in case any future patches come out, although that is highly doubtful. The corrected exe file does replace the original terranx.exe file.

6) Only use the axstart.exe to start SMAX. Accessing SMAC from this program will use the unpatched terran.exe file in the SMAX directory you don't want to use. See #1 for how to start SMAC.

Any further questions just ask. I know this wastes disk space, but it's the only way I could make it work. I also don't need either CD now.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by theohall on 02-24-2001 12:28 AM
          It is imperative that SMAC and SMAX be maintained separate directories due to some compatibility bug in the latest SMAC v4 patch and the SMAX v2 patch.

When does this bug pop up? Is it just unstable on certain systems, or is there a certain situation that will make it happen regularly on any system?

I ask because I've got SMAC v5 and SMAX v2 installed in the same directory on two differend machines. I haven't really played SMAC much since I installed SMAX, but I have gone back into some late game save files to test things without any problems.
          To secure peace is to prepare for war.

Comment

There is a SMAC v5?? Haven't seen that patch anywhere.

Some folks don't seem to have any problems with SMAC/SMAX.

My system:
            800 Mhz Athlon, DirectX 8, SB Live, GeForce2, Win 98 SE

I only had startup problems - ie - SMAX would crash to the desktop after selecting the "Rules" for random games and would only allow me to play Quick Start games and original Scenarios. This only occurred after installing the SMAC v4 patch into the SMAX directory.

That's all I know.

Comment

Working...
            X